My husband

• 6 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with bowel cancer last January through the routine tests that come through the post. He had no symptoms and was operated on last March to remove the affected part of the bowel. He recovered well and they thought all was well but in August his 3 monthly bloods threw up a problem. Cut to a few months later and it was discovered he had 4 liver mets. He’s just had his last chemo and we’re waiting on the results to see if he’ll need surgery. Since starting chemo his mood has been awful, snappy, and agitated, doesn't want to be asked how he is and whilst I understand this I’m finding it really hard. I thought we’d be going through it supporting each other not snapping at each other 

• Hello. My husband has bowel cancer too. Discovered after a stroke, although he apparently knew that something was wrong but didn’t want to confront it. I understand completely what you say about his moods, and how you are feeling. It’s very hard. I hope you both have a positive outcome. Best wishes.

• I hope your husband receives good news 

• So so sorry to hear what you're going through Karen Y.  I expect your husband is terribly upset and scared that the cancer has spread.  Why is it that they seem to take this out of those nearest and dearest to them.  I had the same.  I'm afraid all you can do is grin and bear it.  Know that he isn't really getting at you - it's because you're his closest, best loved, person in his life and he possibly feels he can show how scared and upset he is.  Trouble is that manifests itself in treating you so horribly badly.  I really know just how sad and upsetting it is when all you want to do is to help them through this awful time. You can't understand why they won't support you in this fight.  Try to be strong - accept that he is scared but still loves you.  Keep us up to date with what happens. Many hugs.

• Hi  

On the positive side being picked up by the screening program is a good thing but treatment can be a real challenge and the ups and downs of treatment and the feeling of it's over but then it isn't can be difficult for everyone.

Looking at your feelings when someone has cancer I know I recognize a lot of what I went through and I recognize the power that talking to others who understand how it feels to be in the carer role can give. 

I ended up doing a living with less stress course and it really helped me. I was probably suffering a lot from anticipatory grief and that was not helping me or Janice. Life of course still likes to throw us the occasional curve ball and the conscious breathing I learnt was great for being able to step back and plan rather that being overwhelmed.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Sorry you're going through this Karen. I can completely relate to what a rollercoaster it is for the spouse of the cancer sufferer - my husband also has bowel cancer, now coping with the difficult news of a recurrence. His mood prior to seeing the consultant last time was awful; after hearing he has some treatment options it was like night and day. Suddenly energised. It is difficult to handle the way he switches on and off, and knowing how to respond. There are so many feelings to cope with. I hope you have some support for yourself.