Caring for Brother-in-law with brain tumour

• 5 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hello , I am new here … my husband and I are caring for his brother who is terminal with a brain tumour. watching him disappear in front of us is heartbreaking… his wishes are that he remains here with us until the end.  he has been given 3/6 months

• hi  

Sorry to hear about your brother in law and hope you are doing ok to. It can be very hard being a carer and I know one thing I learnt the hard was was the importance of making sure I looked after myself too. We have a fairly good guide on looking after someone with cancer  

Has your brother in law had a needs assessment from the local authority and you a carers assessment  - there are things that can be put in place to support your both

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your reply Steve..

yes palliative care team in place and have all been brilliant..

His declining quickly ..eating barely anything ..even tried the drinks supplements , 

He is now consciously spitting out his medication…tried hiding in his food ..but he just picks them out of his mouth .. Awaiting liquid medication..but not all of his meds come as liquid ..

Any suggestions?…

• Hi  

That does sound really difficult, have you tried talking to the team and him to try to find out why. It might help you to talk this through with someone on our helpline too.

As they said in the old days of course - you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi,

So sorry to hear about your brother in law. It is such a cruel illness.  You said that you have a good palliative care team, does that include a referral to a hospice because their help and support will be invaluable. 

Sulubee

• Thank you for your reply.

we have hospice nurses visiting us at home ..

He wants to stay at home and die ..not go into a hospice .

yes it’s really scary, but we love him and want to give him this last gift of love ..I was with my Dad when he died suddenly..and was with my mum on her final few weeks ..

I just don’t know what to expect in the final days with his illness..

my dad had a heart attack and my mum had a stroke .

sometimes I don’t know if I’m crying for him or them ..