Is the worst over, can I be hopeful?

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hello,

My husband was diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer last year.  He responded very well to chemo, bowel primary successfully removed clear margins etc and liver secondaries also removed this week with great success.  No evidence of disease in any of the leftover liver.

We are obviously very happy, we did not think we would get this far when we had the original diagnosis. 

But I'm also feeling unsure, I don't fully understand what this means.  Is the worst over?  Those horrible survival rates quoted are beaten?  Well at least for now, I know it may come back.  But can we celebrate now?  I know it may sound silly but I'm feeling scared to be hopeful xx 

• Hi  

With any survival rate nobody really knows how their own dice might fall. Then of course survival often is quoted as five years and that is partially because it becomes increasingly difficult to know if someone died because of the cancer of died with cancer - my wife's current view is very much she is living with cancer and we celebrate that.

You may find some of the information in the after treatment pages helpful.

Just finally being scared is very normal so not silly at all.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge