How do you deal with resentment.

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

He was diagnosed over 2 yrs ago.Undergoing chemo.Prostate stage 2B. Not his fault I know but, I find myself biting my tongue or just sighing and ingoring whats driving me nuts.But oh my god! is he driving me nuts. We are living in each others pockets and I think I'm going to crack!!!! How do I deal with this?    I feel so selfish and mean. But I feel invisible. I just don't seem to matter anymore.  I've started to cry all the time now to. I'm not  a person who will take medication and I'd never get a doctors appointment this side of next christmas anyway. Does anyone hav any coping ideas?  

• Hi  

You matter, but that feeling of being selfish is really very common. Talking, or even typing to others - well we understand.

One thing most carers have to find a way to look after themselves, when I was especially stressed at one point my GP recommended eco-therapy - really useful going for a walk especially if there are trees and we can stop and listen to bird song and for me it did help. 

If it helps do remember you can always ring our helpline, I have certainly cried at them in the past and they have been really helpful. Do post on here too whenever because there are lots of people who will be feeling just the same as you.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Fell a bit better already,maybe I'n not the mean greedy ,selfish person I thought I was...phew!

• Of course you're not a selfish person!

Everyone copes differently when they are ill. My dad has bowel cancer, I can manage his bad moods. But my grandad, no health problems but he recently had a hip replacement, he's been moaning non stop. My brother cracked and shouted at him, my grandad got so upset and said things like "put me in a care home, no one cares about me" Since that incident, we've learnt to be extra patient with him. It's so difficult!

I deal with it by setting boundaries and telling myself I need to be more patient because they are ill. My mum deals with it cos one of my brothers and I help out and it gives my mum a break. Can anyone help you? If not, make sure you have some time for yourself to relax. Take care of yourself!