Wife has Metastatic Breast Cancer in the brain

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi, 1st time poster.

Looking for anyone going through or been through this. Each Cancer is so specfic it seems and different it's difficult to get a catch all sounding board for advice and help.

Im not looking for sympathy, Im interested in the plans and steps I can take as a carer to make things easier on my wife and our immediate and wider family. Practical steps etc.. what to say and what to do. Im a man, saying the right thing is a challenge.

Wife has had "HER2-positive" breast cancer since 2008ish. Now Metastic in the brain but gone from everywhere else in her body. Just waiting on the prognosis and treatment plan. We know its terminal but obviously we're just trying to buy more time for her to spend with our children and for the children to be better equipped to deal with the impending event.

For the last 4 months she has been steadily getting worse in terms of memory loss, she put it down to Menopause but in the back of her mind she pushed the Cancer team for a brain scan and the result is tumas in he brain.

Please dont be sorry for us. But post if you have some experience and can share what you did to help your family in a similar situation.

• Hi  

First and foremost well done for coming here, my wife's cancer is very different but lots of tips apply to us all - one of the most common things many carers find they need to learn is how to look after ourselves, we can see a lot of that in the pages on your feelings when someone has cancer

For your children in may be helpful to look at talking to children and teenagers.

If it would help you it may help to speak to someone on the helpline here - I have certainly cried at them in the past and they are both very patient and helpful.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• My husband had breast cancer in 2003, diagnosed with metastic brain cancer in March 2021. Its in his lungs and liver now .We live from scan to scan and when he's stable we go on holiday. He takes oral chemo every 2 weeks with a week off. He dud also have whole brain radiotherapy before starting the chemo.

When he was first diagnosed we imagined he only had weeks to live, 

I find it's good to have something to look forward to,, even just a night out with friends or a weekend away.

We were devastated at first but now have had time to accept the diagnosis and learnt to live with it 

Take pleasure out of the small things in life and don't look too far ahead 

• Thanks Anne. Just knowing there are other people out there with similar situations is helpful.

I feel guilty for not having it and getting woud up when my wife is agitated and angry. And more so when Im feeling sorry for myself and down.

• thank you for replying Steve, it means a lot.