Dreading New Year

• 5 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Is anyone else dreading New Year tomorrow? 
To me  just seems so futile to to as I am dreading what next year will bring, feel so conflicted, especially during the period where there is so much pressure to be happy and celebrate

• Hi I'm sorry you feel like this. It does feel like we are in a bubble and everyone else is going about normal life. For what it's worth me and my husband who is having treatment for colon cancer, we are having a fire pit in the garden wrapped up in rugs and writing down all the things we want to burn from 2023. Then have a glass of zero alcohol prosecco and have an early night with a film. We don't love new years even when everything is ok so knew it would be harder this year. Sending positive thoughts to you. ♡

• Hi  

Perhaps the moment I might reflect on most around new year eve is the issue around old acquaintances, personally there are many I will never forget but will use the time to think about all the positives they brought in to my life.

My dad was scottish so of course a big celebration was always on the cards there and for many years he was the steward at a local social club. I spent quite a few new years working alongside him behind the bar and watching others having a good time/getting quite drunk but at least we had a clear head the following day.

Nowdays normally we just have a quiet night in watching the TV on new years eve. Stay up to see the new year in but off to bed shortly after the chimes - works for us.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Yes!!! I hear you all.

We've just had the most stressful/emotional day but have just had confirmation my lovely Dad has got a hospice bed&will go in tomorrow. It is with both huge relief and much sadness as we know these are his last few days. Christmas was awful and facing 2024 without my Dad is unbearable. So, yes I am, like you dreading the New year. But it is comforting to know that sadly there are other families going through the same sadness and we're not alone. 

I hope you all have whatever NYE you want....and remember to tell our loved ones how much we love them. Big hugs and prayers to you all. Xxx

• Hi,

myes, I’ve come into this new year with quite a black funk. I feel guilty. I’m not the person with cancer, but yet I feel so helpless. This is a hard time of year. Looks like we made it to Jan 2, so onward. Big hug. Ann xxx

• Take it one day at a time. It's merely a month change and a year change. I only focus on today, I don't even think about next week unless it's organising hospital visits etc.  it's important to have friends who check in with you and support you.