Ongoing goings on

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi Folks,  I just need to 'talk' to someone.  My husband started off with heart disease 9 years ago.  He is now 77 years old [as am I].  Atrial Fibrillation [AF]. 2 Cardioversions, and 1 cardiac ablation [Nov 2022] later.  He has just come out of 4 days in hospital after he'd developed AF again [pulse rate 190 - 200] and was put back on amiodorone which they'd stopped [that's what caused the re-occurence of the AF].  He had a sigmoidoscopy 13 months ago and the doctor was happy that they'd removed a cancerous growth, with clear margins, from his rectum. Recent 4th follow up MRI suggests the cancer has returned.  Another sigmoidoscopy will be done on Dec 30.  On the 2nd MRI follow up on the colon cancer they found a lung cancer.  Chemo and Radiotherapy followed.  He has a follow up MRI for the lung cancer on 4 January.  He has a cataract operation on his left eye on Jan 7.  [Amazing how nowadays you get weekend appointments isn't it].  He is also having his ears de-waxed because he can't hear anything much at the moment.  He is very very laid back but he finds it difficult to understand why I am beginning to get a bit anxious and stressed with all the appointments, medications and worry about what is going to happen.  I just needed to 'talk' with someone - I know in many respects I am probably in a better place than many but I don't have anyone to talk with.  I feel so very very sad and lonely.

• Hi  

Sorry this is happening to you both, loneliness is quite common in your situation - the link here talks about this from the point of view of a patient but very much is applicable to carers too.

You can always ring our helpline here - it is for everyone affected by cancer or you can look up local services using our in your area too

We are lucky to live fairly close to a Maggie's center as many have found their approach really helpful.

Do post on here to whenever you feel the need, someone is always there and not everyone posts so our words often help others too.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi zebra. I hear you. My husband has just been told the lump on his neck is a secondary cancer. Awaiting a tonsillectomy that they hope is the Primary. He’s so laid back while I fall apart every time we have an appointment or hospital letter. Had a bit of a cry this morning, just all too much. I’m finding this community a real help - you are not alone. Sometimes just writing what you are feeling helps. Xx