Living with a terminal partner

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

I just want to describe what it’s like for me because it helps to share.  A lot of the narrative around cancer is about survival against the odds, so caring for a wife that is terminal, means I have few places to go to find similar stories to mine.  It’s devastating to live with someone put through mental and physical hell only to be disappointed time and time again. The treatment compounds the devastation of the disease and I am an observer of the daily cruelty.  My wife has experienced a sudden deterioration and I have been sitting with the dawning realisation that her death is no longer something in the distant future, but is soon.  The death was meant to sit in the centre of my vision, just on the horizon and gradually get bigger and bigger over time, such that I could familiarise myself with it before it arrived.  Instead, it seems to have suddenly raced towards me and in doing so I see things I never saw before, horrific and terrifying things emanating from it and in to the day to day fabric of my life.  Her eyes appear less and less vital and her skin has developed a grey pallor.  Her hair, once thick, is struggling to grow back to any degree.  There are stumbles on occasion and confused thoughts.  There are regular different symptoms and sources of pain.  Sitting up in bed from lying is difficult for her to achieve.   Her appetite is starting to reduce.  She is letting go of once loved activities and things.  She is in the stage prior to active dying,  when the preparations are made.  The silence on bad days is deafening.  I grow closer to tears all of the time and unable to maintain my composure in the way I usually can.  I feel wounded and child like.  The world is a big scary place.   This truly is grown up stuff and I’m not a grown up.  I pretended I was and for a time it seemed real, but this is too hard.  

• Hello Honesty I too feel this losingbof a loved one. My partner of 28 years (just become husband) has recently moved to a hospice which we feel is the most peaceful and comfortable place to be. He has been in hospital before that from 27 October. He has declined more rapidly recently and is mostly asleep when I visit. He looks more ill now an doesn't listen to radio/podcasts or watch TV now, very little appetite. We know it's a matter of weeks. I want to talk about our life and how he wants to spend the end of his but don't want to force it. I have his immediate family and my sister plus many great friends to support me but it is still lonely without him. I don't necessarily mean at home, but that he's not totally with me when I'm there. I just want him to be peaceful and as free of pain as possible but it is so sad. Love to you.

• Thank you Patsy Pray.  People are commonly said to sleep increasingly when death approaches.  It isn’t the sleep of living people, that refreshes and renews for the vigours of the day ahead, but a falling into increasing states of exhaustion and unconsciousness as the body shuts it’s energy systems down.  Hospices are wonderful places and their expertise is in helping people to die free of pain and discomfort.  I want this for my wife too, but I am not sure how to access the service.  I will speak to her cancer team about it as it comes nearer.  

• This option was offered to us by the oncology team at the cancer hospital with option of palliative care at home. My husband thought being at home would be scary for us without 24hr medical support and would be too stressful. It is a very calm place, with good facilities and food options. I am able to stay in his room which I am doing on Thursday. Wishing you peace Honesty.