Bad night.

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Where to start! So last night my father in law refused to take all his evening meds, no slow release painkillers, no sleeping tablet, etc etc. He has very restless nights wanders around not knowing where he is and where he’s going even with the tablets. We have to be with him 24/7 to make sure he’s not using the coat cupboard as a toilet etc. I rang the Pspa for help. As we’ve been advised. By the time I was contacted by a nurse to discuss the situation he was back in bed asleep. He can be awake and wandering one minute but we sort him out get him back to bed and he’s asleep within seconds. So as he was asleep there was nothing she could do. We went back and forth with my concerns and she said I should ring back when he was awake, so I tried to explain the situation and said ‘and then you ring me back and he’s asleep again’ and she giggled and said ‘yes possibly’ at which point I was extremely upset and put the phone down. It was the laugh why on earth did she think that was funny!!! Anyway while I had a little meltdown took a diazepam to calm down, she rang back and spoke to my parter who could obviously explain the situation better than me! And we were offered a visit for support in a couple of hours. But why was it so difficult to get that help? We didn’t actually need it in the end he took his medication when we asked again so we cancelled to call. 

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about what you have been going through, it does all sound very difficult and when we do not get the help we expect it makes it even more challenging.

It does sound like you have a number of bases covered here and I feel encouraged to see that. I know how long it took me first to reach out for help.

Fingers crossed for a better night tonight and hope today was not too rough.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge