Buddies for Carers

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I know about the buddy volunteers for sufferers, but does anyone know if there is something similar for us carers? 

• If there is please share I am struggling to cope, really which there was a local group I could go to, everything seems so hard to locate especially when you are wandering around in a haze of panic and anxiety like I am at the moment 

• I’m absolutely the same. Getting there now with support from the MacMillan team but did find it extremely difficult in the beginning. So many different people involved at different levels and not knowing who to reach out to when has been hard. Still having issues with coordinating the carers the PCCC have been quite difficult to deal with. I’m thinking of trying to set something up if it doesn’t exist, when I finally can come up for air. It will get easier for you. Ask lots of questions to lots of different people and ensure you look after yourself too. 

• Yes please share - am in rural Wales, travelling a long way for treatment and the nearest Macmillan support group is 20 miles and an hour's drive away. Called the support line but keep finding I'm 9Pensive in the queue or similar - haven't the stamina to wait on the call. Pensive

• I messaged MacMillan about this and there are apparently some buddies for carers you need to go to the main MacMillan website and put in a referral and they can see if there is someone in your area. I hope this helps. I’ve not actually tried to do it. As my father in law passed on Tuesday. But when I get the strength I will be volunteering myself.