Strange

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi,

I have not done anything like this before. My wife has stage 4 cancer but is currently not showing any signs of the disease. While we are delighted, I totally collapsed after the news: mood low, anxiety etc. I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this? I managed to lift my self but recently she has been applying for PIP and early retirement. We learnt yesterday that the oncologist has not supported her application. We are seeing her next week for results but this on top of the constant rejections has completely frazzled me again. I’m just wondering if this is normal? I have spoken to my GP but wanted some real life connection too.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your wife, my wife is also stage 4 but in her case the cancer is stable and she is possibly in the best health she has been in years.

Good luck with her PIP application - our son has autism and he gets PIP and my wife then gets carers allowance and I know how much of a difference it can make - I would encourage being careful to check the application carefully because it is often not about the condition we have but the impact it has on a "normal" life - whatever a "normal" life might be anyway (my wife has had this cancer over 10 years my normal is probably very different to many others).

As for your reaction - it is incredibly common if we look at your feelings when someone has cancer I know I see a lot of things I went through - mostly before I reached out for help and found how boringly normal I was - in a world that seemed to fall apart around me.

Do post on here whenever and if you need an instant fix remember our helpline is there for people just like us too. I have cried at them in the past and they are wonderful.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi,

My husband was told his cancer had progressed to stage 4 last summer. He had no outward symptoms other than side effects from chemotherapy. Somehow, we have managed to have some wonderful times following this news and really appreciated life.

It maybe different, as his life expectancy was less than a year, but our local hospice completed his application for PIP and we have been receiving it since. They liaised directly with his oncology team. He was also able to cash in his pensions and received the full amount which has really helped.

Unfortunately, now he is having no treatment and is at home being cared for by the hospice. I am so, so glad we made the most of the time we had  whilst he was feeling well. 

I hope you get the support you need soon.

B x