How do I help, I'm lost.

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello I'm the sole carer of my Father (69) and we should be getting the results of whether or not it's cancer today. (He also has a few other health issues in the mix it feels like a hospital appointment is a weekly trip out currently)

I'm the youngest sibling (29) and my older sibling doesn't seem to be interested and only seems to check in with Dad when they want something.

What's the best way to cope with the news? I'm not expecting it to go well or smoothly but I don't know what the best way to support dad in whatever the diagnosis may be. I want to get my sibling involved more in helping him and spending time with him, but phonecalls and texts go unanswered.

I feel lost and so overwhelmed in how best to be there for my dad.

Any advice is welcome, and thankyou for taking the time to read.

• Sorry to hear about your situation. I have found that I can't impose anything on my partner. I have to go at his pace. I like to gather information but he is the opposite. Try to be just there and respond to what they want. I find it's finding a balance between optimism and listening to their grumbles. I hope this helps. Kind thoughts. (He has cancer for the 2nd time which has spread.)

• hi  

I certainly know the wonders of a mix of issues one of which may to may not be cancer - indeed it my wife's case the final diagnosis of cancer almost came as a relief in we had finally got to the root of a problem.

Unfortunately different people cope with this differently and if we look at your feelings when someone has cancer one option is denial.

Feeling lost is also totally usual - and the toll of lots of hospital appointments is heavy on us all - some times I wonder how people who are ill ever cope!

Do reach out on here whenever - while we cannot take away any of the issues we do at least understand in a way that many in our little club may find hard to understand.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge