How do you help someone that pushes you back.

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My partner is a strong woman and always has been, even in bad times before she always was the rock of the family.

Since her cancer diagnosis in September it's been understandable that she's no longer this person, but unfortunately the past few days she's started to not give up that's not the right words, but become less in herself.

The hospital called to say the pet CT scan has shown no spread to other parts and it's looking like radiotherapy will be used and not chemo, to me this sounds like better news but she needs to go and have a blood sample and it's like she's got all the time in the world. If I bring it up I get snapped at and she digs her heals in.

What can you do at times like these.

• Hi Ian.. My sister had cancer & passed away during covid.  She and I were shielding in my house during this horrible time.. I went to every consultation, every appointment and chemo session with her.. I thought I understood how she felt.  I have cancer myself now & realise I didn’t have a clue.

Everyone is different, but I’ve spoken to many lovely people with cancer now & I think we all had pretty much the same reaction to our diagnosis..

Being told you have cancer hits you like a brick. It brings out emotions you didn’t know you had and it’s terrifying.  It takes a lot of ‘digesting’ and even then you never actually ‘get used’ to the idea.   Your partner is very probably frightened out of her wits hun, all you can do is be there for her, hold her & let her talk xxx

• Hi…I just take a deep breath and clean the house …it’s a horrible situation to be in , my hubby, some days, turns into this person that I don’t even know , he tells me that I don’t understand …REALLY ??? 
    I find crying in the shower helps 

he’s pushed me away so many times that I sometimes wonder why on earth im still here with him …but…we carry on doing what , when and how every day …because we love them x