Today was a Rehearsal

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Today felt like a rehearsal for what is to come.  My husband is in hospital with bile duct cancer and very low blood pressure.  I am alone at home and have been for a few days.  I realised that in some ways this is how my life in the future is going to be - making decisions on my own, what and when to eat, to go to bed, to get up, to go for a drive and where to go - things that we always did together.  There is silence in the room now.  I know that he is still here although in a hospital ward tonight and that helps, I know that he will come home this time - but one day he won't.  One day I will truly be on my own and I don't want that day to come.  I want  to hear again the laughter, the 60's music that he loves, hear the memories of stupid things he did as a young man before we met, to remember our wedding, holidays, hobbies shared. A lifetime of things I want to experience again. It brings it home to me how real this thing is.  For a few precious hours I can forget this is happening but then suddenly something happens and it all becomes real again.  Today is a rehearsal for a role I don't want to play but I must.  I am feeling sorry for myself and guilty for thinking more about the changes in my life instead of concentrating on the time he has left.  But today is a rehearsal not yet the reality.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your husband, if does sound like a very difficult position and one many of us will recognize. I used to travel quite a lot with my work so my wife was fairly used to me being away for a while but it did feel very odd when I was the one alone in our house.

When my wife got cancer I was in a similar position and in the end it got to me, finally I walked in to my local Maggies and essentially broke down and cried - and it was probably the best thing I could have done. It is amazing what these kind people - total strangers - can do to help us at this time. One lesson I had to learn was how to look after me - because as every carer comes to recognize we need some strength for the difficult times and we need to recharge us too - otherwise we break.

Music can be a great tool but also sometimes a hidden landmine. When my dad died I could not really cope with bagpipe music without thinking of him and missing him - but as time goes on I remember more of the good times.

Hope you find a way to make the most of every day - cause each day is precious - as they say that is why they call it the present.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hello sorry to hear about your situation I feel much the same. My partner is in hospital for 2 wks now. He is putting car off rd and we haven't had oncologist appt yet (long story with many tests, hip operation etc) but feel a big change coming. Hugs.

• I'm sorry you are on this journey too.  It's hard.  Today I was supposed to pick him up from hospital but got a phone call to say his blood pressure was down again and the physio wasn't happy to let him go.  We are hoping that his BP will be back up tomorrow but I don't know how much hope I actually have that it may happen.  

I hope you get your oncologist appointment soon.  My best wishes for you both and loads of virtual hugs.

• Thank you - unfortunately my nearest Maggies is about 40 miles away but the District Nurse turned up because she hadn't been told he was in hospital and I ended up in tears in front of her.  She was very good and helped me see that it's not a weakness to cry.

I've also been listening to music but the one that I keep playing is I will not say Goodbye by Danny Gokey as it seems to say all I want to say.  

One thing I really found is to use the relaxation section of my fitbit watch app - it has one called Fly through the sky to drift off to sleep - I've used it a few times now and have fell asleep each time before the end.