Care Home

• 1 reply
  • 45 subscribers

Well this has been some of the hardest months of my life!

My 65 year old husband started the year complaining of a bad back and was prescribed painkiller after painkiller.

On Coronation Day he was told that he had cancer ut they were not to sure if they had caught it in time as they did not know where it started.

In July we were told that it had started in the kidneys and sadly it had spread but were given 18 months to 2 years and that his defibrillator would have to be switched off but not for a long time.

Three weeks ago he went to the local hospice and because of aggression (I had to get the police out one night) he was given a brain scan only to be told that he has the start of vascular dementia and that the time frame is now only 3 months.

It was decided that in his best interests (and mine) that he goes to live in a care home. I have worked in care all of my working life but it is so different when it is your own family.House

I don't know what the future will bring and although I put on a brave face for him and the family I am dreading it 

• Hi Donny d welcome to  the forum and I am so very sorry to hear about what has been happening for you, that's a lot happened in a short space of time, so little wonder you are wondering what to do. Your whole world has been turned upside down and you could do with some support yourself. Do you have a Carers Centre nearby you that you could access.  I totally agree with you about working  in care and then  it being your family its completely different, thought it shouldn't be as they are al someone's family . Can the Hospice not offer any help at all as opposed to a care home . It is so important that your needs are taken into consideration when any decision is being made and that you are fully involved and have some choice over where hubby goes to. What do you want to happen? I'm asking because that's important as well. 

gail

Community Champion Badge