Denial

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My husband has a rare form of primary terminal spinal cancer 

we know this and he knows it - but he keeps saying things like “when I go golfing next year” or “ I need to buy  a new lawnmower before next summer to mow the grass better” when he is actually pretty much bed bound and neither thing is going to happen…. How do you respond? Nodding and smiling or agreeing feels like we are just humouring him, but saying of course you don’t because… seems cruel! Just don’t know how to respond 

he’s also only 60 and been in hospital since summer but about to be discharged to a 24/7 nursing home due to the complexity of his care needs - I just don’t really know how to process that either 

thanks for any advice… x

• It’s heartbreaking isn’t it? My husband is coming to the end after 18 long months, and he too is now bed bound. Up until a couple of weeks ago he would make plans that I knew were never going’ to be possible and I would fight the urge to cry and go along with the plans. My husband is a little younger, and waiting for a hospice bed, I’m heartbroken and struggling to get through each day.

Sending hugs x

• Thanks for taking time to reply - and sorry to hear about your husband too

you don’t want to extinguish the “hope” they have in making these plans but - the realist in me knows none of it is possible- it’s so sad