Bad night

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Last night was one of the worst nights in my life I think and I know it's going to get worse.  My husband has not been eating or drinking more than a few sips for a few weeks now and weight has fallen off him.  Last night he struggled to get to the toilet and I heard a loud noise - went upstairs to find him laying on the floor between the bathroom and bedroom - totally unable to get up and telling me he was struggling to breathe.  Called the ambulance as I am unable to pick him up despite his low weight.  They were really good but as always it took time for them to get here.  They got him up and back to bed - said he didn't need hospital as it was obvious his low blood pressure which caused the fall was the result of dehydration and to drink more liquids.  They were happy to leave him because the District Nurse and Palliative nurse are coming this morning and could check him over.  I didn't sleep more than half hour and I'm tired out.  It was the first time that I have really seen the changes in him and it shocked me to the core.  Where has the strong, capable man I love gone - now his body is old, thin and unable to lift him.  

I think it was then that I realised the ambulance is probably the first of many, that I am going to have to get use to calling them and trying not to cry as I explain to them.  

It had been such a good day as well - it was the first time I hadn't needed to go to the chemist for either him, me or my 88 year old sister in law and I hadn't had any phone calls from her needing me to go out, call the doctor or be there.  The doctor had been on Thursday and had given him the impression that he has more than a year  left and he was very happy about that so I had taken the time to pamper myself a bit with a long bath and was relaxed for what felt like the first time in months.  Was just locking up to go to bed and then this happened.

I am now scared he will fall over again and I am afraid to go out and leave him for much time now. I also look at him and think there's no way you are going to make it for another year.

I am scared of what's to come, how I will cope and how I will feel - I'm crying most days when I'm on my own now

SobCrySobCry

• I just want  to say I am so so sorry you are going through this and you are loolong after your sister in law aswell.  Have you got any other friends family or neighbours who could come in for an hour, just so you can have a sleep or just sit in the library anything, it sounds like you are going to  be so exhausted,   I’m so sorry ,  does your husband have any walking ades to help him get to the toilet  or around your home ? or a comiodo next to the bed so he can get to that easier ?. And I total understand when you say you don’t feel like he will make it a year,  if he’s not eating much or drinking he will be very weak, but if he is all there in his mind -  maybe he is angry upset all types of emotions and has lost his appetite -   I really don’t know what to say: but this is so hard to watch happen . This is a huge community and posting your feelings will help you and hopefully others giving you advice aswell.  You are in my thoughts xxx lots of love x 

• Hi  

totally get the "it was such a good day ... and then .." bit. Sometimes it can teel life is just out to trip us up.

When my mum started to become less stable she had a push button on a lanyard that connected to the phone and would trigger an automatic phone call system. She also had a device on her walking frame so if that was knocked down - again triggered the phone system.

Of course that relies on having someone the phone system can call and of course with mobile phones we can all be more available than we were before.

With my wife's cancer I certainly did the crying bit - often in the shower so nobody saw. Then I did a living with less stress course and came to realise that as much as I worried it could block me seeing what was good. Life still loves to throw us a curveball though.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for replying.  The district nurse came yesterday and was so reassuring.  She's arranging a special mattress as we don't have room for a hospital bed, a walking frame and a commode. So hopefully he won't fall over again.  He made me smile when he said "I will only have a commode if you let me empty it when I've used it".  The idea of him getting to the bathroom to empty and clean it when he can't get to the bathroom anyway just made me laugh.  We also had chance to talk about end of life care and that reassured me as now I know what he wants.  

The thing I am now find difficulty with is understanding what he says.  As he's not drinking much and also has oral thrush his words are slurred at times and I feel awful having to say "sorry can you say that again" - he gets frustrated and I hate to see him this way.  

The house is silent now as he is upstairs asleep and I am downstairs.  For a few minutes I can convince myself that he has gone to his allotment and will be back in a few hours with some more vegetables that I don't really want.  How I wish that were true - I would give anything to have those days back again