How to protect you partner form infection after a stem cell transplant

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all,

My partner went through a stem cell transplant a month ago. I've had a cold for the last 7 days, so she's been staying at her parents. I read conflicting information online about when it's safe to come back. 

In this specific case I feel fully fine but I have a small cough that persists, and it's unclear if that's contagious because a cough can linger un to 3 weeks after

These are such difficult calls to make because I definitely don't want to put her at risk, but it's also a big disruption for her. How do you approach these situations?

Thank you!

Michael

• Hi  

I'm Steph from the Community team, I'm sorry to hear that you're having to be so careful around your partner at the moment.

I have just popped in to suggest that you also post your question in the stem cell transplant forum here

It was definitely worth posting here in case any other carers have this experience, however you will find more members with experience of stem cell transplants over in that forum. 

We also have nurses on our Support Line in case you'd like to talk this through with them. Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

I hope this is helpful, please do let us know if you'd like any further support.

Can anyone else here help MKBE? 

Steph
    Online Community Officer