Partner needs me, chance of losing job

• 5 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My mind is a mess at the moment because of more cancer worries now with my partner.

I've already taken time over over the past 15 months here and there because my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer last June, she has reached her 70th birthday today which none of us were expecting this time last year, also my Labrador was diagnosed with cancer but after he had a toe removed he's been given the all clear,.

My biggest concern is I'm on a final written warning at work for my attendance and I'm worried if I push having more time off to be there for my partner I honestly could lose my job, it actually got to a point that I was under the impression my manager didn't believe me as in his email he asked for proof my partner has cancer, to say this has severly upset my partner and I is an understatement. Luckily someone in the company has spoken to myself and advised me to follow my doctors orders and have time with my partner as I was in no fit state myself to work, I'm still not happy with the prospect of not being there for her and my mental health is shot, I don't know what to do for the best and I can't talk to my partner because it's not fare me dumping more problems onto her already troubled plate.

I was told to take as much time as I needed, so because we are not at the point of knowing how severe this diagnosis is for my partner, I feel I need to stay away from work until we know more. Unfortunately the prospect of actually losing my job and not being able to support my partner financially is always there in my mind.

• Hi Ian, s welcome to the forum and I am so very sorry to hear what is happening for you right now. Carers have rights in the workplace and there are also allowances that should be made for Carers of those with Cancer, but I am not sure of what they all are and what could be advised for our situation. However, I do know that Macmillan have  welfare advisors and workplace Advisors so if you felt able to give the Macmillan Line a call and have  a chat with them to see what they can offer by way of advice. Do it sooner rather than later and hopefully you can put things in place to make life easier for you all at such a difficult time.  08088080000. They are open form 8am until 8pm 7 days per week so please do give them a call. 

Thinking of you all and sending some hugs for now . 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Gail, I will definitely give them a call, it's going to be a long road ahead for my partner and as you said I need to get things in place sooner than later, our problem at the moment is waiting for the results, we both hope for the best but the way my partner is feeling in herself compared to how she was, I can see it in her eyes she's fearing the worst.

• If you work is that unhelpful, think of moving on in future. But in the short term make sure you know your rights as a carer in the workplace. All the best to you both. 

• Thank you for your words, luckily someone higher up the ladder has interviened and been helpful enough with a short term solution.

Still waiting for results, hopefully things can move on soon.

Ian 

• Hi Ian. s that is great news and even a short spell may be of use but please do give the Macmillan folks a call if you haven't already. 

gail

Community Champion Badge