Feeling guilty

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all,

Well after caring for my mum for 6 months almost single handed, I'm getting home care help in for her.

Mums been let down by all the friends and family that said they would help out and always be there for her and pretty much abandoned her when her health got worse, my brother and his family have been so selfish and selective when it comes to helping out and now they've tested positive for COVID, 

I haven't been home to my family for 10 days and will be longer until test negative. 

So I finally asked for help but now I feel guilty,I feel like I'm letting her down even though I know it's others that are,

my mum doesn't want strangers helping etc which is odd as she used to be a carer in a residential home, she's getting dementia like symptoms and it's getting harder and I can't keep this up, I have my own health issues and I'm scared I have a breakdown when she needs me most.

From diagnosis in Feb/ march it's been totally life changing for everyone, it's horrendous what cancer does it creeps into every aspect of life.

All in all I think I've done the right thing and I hope my mum gets used to the idea of carers even for a couple of days a week.

• Hi  

I certainly recognize the idea of guilt for feeling we cannot do everything - but looked at logically we know we cannot and need some time to ourselves. We Janice was first taken ill there were quite a few people who were "whatever you need" but when it became I need help it was "not today".

With my parents they had carers, then moved to a sheltered housing project and eventually my dad ended up in residential care - it meant he got the 24/7 care he needed as there was no way we could have met his needs even as much as we might want to.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge