Exhausted

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi I’m in need of some support as my poor ole mum has had breast cancer and now bone cancer, and now in end of life. she is under the hospice who are fantastic. Unfortunately my mum has deteriorated and is taking her anger out on my sister and I and I’m struggling to cope. I can’t bare to think how she feels and I try snd be there for her , we both do. Does anyone else have this? I want mum to feel comfortable and out of pain, I just don’t know what to do. Any thoughts grateful. 

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your mum and the impact things are having on you. As we get more tired things become much more difficult to cope with. The hospice should hopefully be able to make your mum as comfortable as possible but there is sometimes a balance struck between the level of pain relief and essentially getting knocked out, things are so hard at times.

Have you got anyone to help you, the hospice staff will be able to help I am sure and remember you can always ring the helpline here if you want to talk.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for your kind words. I appreciate your suggestions x 

• Hi DumptonGap,, 

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. My dad has terminal cancer, fortunately he's relatively stable now but will gradually deteriorate at some point. When he was in intensive care for a month and felt unwell, like your mum, he also got into a bad mood. It was upsetting to see, plus the fear of losing him made it completely overwhelming. I don't have any advise, I just want to share that you're not alone. It's difficult to see our parent struggling and in pain. What I've noticed is we all cope differently, my dad will get angry, my grandma (she has brain cancer) will be quiet and not make a fuss. Try not to take it personally, it's probably not anger at you, it's her way of expressing pain. I tell myself that It's the cancer talking. 

Hopefully the hospice staff will be able to help with your mother's pain and that you have someone to talk to and support you. I called the Macmillian helpline several times when my dad was in hospital for emotional support, they are extremely helpful.

Take care of yourself. 

• Im sorry to hear what you have been going through too. Sending a hug and appreciae your comments. We have since found out she has had a water infection too. Seems a little calmer now but i just wante mum to be comfortable and peaceful and not upset. The Hospice have been very supportive x