Help needed to encourage my partner to use hospital bed

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi All,

We have 4 days ago had a hospital bed delivered for my partner who has stage 4 lung cancer.  He is very weak and aching a lot of the time.  The bed only just fits in our bedroom next to our double bed so I have to climb over or squeeze passed it to get to the double.

My fella is refusing to use the bed.  I can understand it will take a bit of getting used to with its constant movement and motor noise. It is frustrating me that he won’t give it a chance. He climbs over it or squeezes around which takes all his energy and then he complains about how he can’t sleep because he is aching so much- which I think would be improved if he used it.

I have set a Tv up at the end of it in the hope he would use in the day and get used to it but hasn’t so far. I have asked why he doesn’t want to give it a go and he just says it’s uncomfortable.  I’m sure part of the problem is that we both really like our cuddles and he doesn’t want to lose that.   

I wonder whether I should buy a single to replace the double to force him onto the hospital bed but it feels a bit controlling and I’ll probably end up on the hospital bed.

I’d appreciate any tips please. Many thanks,

kaz

• Hi  

Reading your story I wondered if perhaps he feels like using the hospital bed is a bit like giving in, though having recently been in hospital myself their beds are not the same as my own.

Cuddles are an important part of a relationship and we all know how good they can be to help us cope with pain.

Perhaps the real question I might ask is how are you coping - is having him in bed stopping you getting a good nights sleep, because that is something that can make people ill quite quickly and if you are ill how will you both cope.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Steve.  Yes I think he does perhaps see it as another step towards the end but we have had some healthy discussion about that now.  And for me, yes the lack of sleep is starting to take its toll and I don’t want to lose my temper with him.