Not sure if I can join this!

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi,

I have been caring for my husband for over a year now, he has stage 3b lung cancer - inoperable and although radiotherapy has shrunk the tumours a little he reacted badly to chemo, has been hospitalised 3 times with pneumia and spesis so there is no further treatment.

He sleeps a lot and I am able to partially work from home so things have been bearable, until I was diagnosed with breast cancer last month.

I'm now trying to balance caring for him and myself (had lumptectomy 11 days ago) and I know he is worried about  me, and we are having short term carers in to help me, but I worry that I am in danger of reducing his independance by continuing to trying to do things for him that he might be able to do for himself,.

As this forum is for carers only and I am both a carer and a cancer sufferer can I join ???

• Hi  

With one in two of us getting cancer in our lifetimes it becomes increasingly rare to find someone who is a pure carer - absolutely you are welcome here.

We often see carers struggle with trying to do something that the patient can still do and the impact that can have so thank you for raising that as a possible issue. It does just go to show how important talking and working as a partnership can be.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• So sorry to hear your news, has your husband considered going onto immunotherapy , my husband is on it, with no side affects so now I don’t need to care for him also the cancer has shrunk so much…..