Mothers diet and depression

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hello, 

My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer and a possible renal carcinoma in her kidney. It is incurable and she has ascites and a stent in her stomach. She is on a liquid diet but it is difficult to maintain a good quality of life when she is eating the same soup/ensure drinks/smoothies repeatedly in order to hit her calorie intake and not to become malnourished. The constant yoghurt texture/taste/thickness has become too much for her but I don’t know how else to hit her calories without including it in her diet.

We also had to change her prescriptions to liquid form including anti depressants but I feel this is not working and I am noticing a decline in her mood and she is telling me she doesn’t want to get out of bed due to her mental health. 

I would greatly appreciate any advice from anyone who is also experiencing caring for someone on a liquid diet (puréed food and then strained) or anyone who can provide any advice for someone who is struggling mentally and ways to help. 

Thank you in advance!

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your mother and the issues you are having, I have not had the experience of liquid feeding but hopefully by replying I will help promote your message back to the top of the list where someone else might notice.

Have you tried our Ask a Nurse service in case they have any ideas too.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge