Gold standard framework

• 1 reply
  • 45 subscribers

Mum was diagnosed in April with stage 4 bowel cancer . For best supportive care due to age ( 86) . Added to GSF register but no support came .I referred my mum to Macmillan and DN( who did a very quick assessment & have not been back to see her ) Over last 4 weeks rapid decline . Mum sleeps more , extreme fatigue , refuses food , significant weight loss . Constipation . The GP only comes if I call them . Macmillan last review was over phone . Should I be asking for regular DN visits , regular GP visits . Mum is so scared of dying with a bowel obstruction and called me tonight after a slight vomit . I reassured her that her tummy felt soft and she would be ok for the night . I am wondering what other people have experienced in terms of support caring for someone like my mum whom I think is in her last few months of life . Thankyou 

• Hi Franko,

Has your mum had a needs assessment from her local council? This is the pathway to finding out what support she needs and getting direction of where to get that. It is not that usual for that to be provided by district nurse and GP visits and is more commonly provided by a dedicated care agency.

With my mum she had carers in twice a day for quite some time but later they moved in to a supervised living unit where 24/7 care was on tap if needed though mostly residents lived independently. When my dad was ill and that put more need that could be provided there he moved on to a full residential care home.

I wonder what might be available to help support your mum though because it does sound like she is very worried and it is perhaps important for her to feel as comfortable as it possible.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge