Grief before losing my husband he's only months left

• 4 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My husband Duncan only has 6-12 months to live the scan was done in april, he has been very unwell he has a peg and issues have meant that he wasn't able to feed properly he lost 2 stone.  We have just come back from our honeymoon and their have been some issues with his family at the end of our honeymoon.  He hasn't had a close relationship with him for some time he has said and we have only seen them on and they also have a child our niece whom is 16 years old. 

I love her very much i have been with my husband 17 years as his partner we only married in November he hasn't ever believed in marriage. But after being diagnosed with cancer last march they told us they were 95% sure he had cancer only from a scan no biopsy results and we chose to mention that its a possibility as he wanted to get used to the idea himself.  but i was who cried I almost fell to the floor his family lived in denial and when he needed them they weren't there even while in the cancer hospital unable to cope with the pain and treatment radiotherpay they still went on holiday because his brothers first holiday was rubbish due to getting over covid.  

and now still its all me who does the planning yet when he has changed his mind on one thing its all blown up and its all my fault and he doesn't want to see his brother.  he said how can i die peacefully knowing that they will cut you out of their lives.  

i can barely cope with the pain of knowing whats coming never mind them forgetting him. not seeing them i just dont know what to do i would go but i know thats not what he wants or i want im so confused.  my heart breaks again and again. 

• I sympathise with your situation. My husband is nearer to the end and it's so hard facing what's coming. I dont want him in pain and suffering but I can't face him not being here anymore. He was diagnosed in February 2023. 

His family visit but always feels like a atmosphere, words unsaid. I think after all this they will fade away out of my life.

• I know how you feel, it’s like losing apart of him too.   My connection to the memories we’ve shared old and new for 17 years.  Because we couldn’t have children we had 11 miscarriages and one late 23 weeks Thomas 

• Your babies will be waiting for him. Life feels so unfair. Only so much loss you can bear. 

I lost 2 boys  one full term and 1 at 21 weeks gestation with my first husband. Feel like I have had my share of tragedy.

• I’ve been with him since I was 18 it’s been so hard plus I’m autistic I don’t deal with change and loss well.  I know what you mean about tragedy and pain thought I’d had enough.  My fair share