Husband surgery & after care

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Good news that husbands date for abdominal tumour removal has been brought forward to next week but I am now feeling anxious obviously about the op but also caring for him when he comes home 

it will be a big op with its own risks as any surgery but I am being completely selfish on how I will cope when he is home. I am particularly squeamish around anything to do with blood & bodily functions & just not sure how I will cope with being nurse for him

he will still have his catheter & possibly a stoma bag & large wound & will obviously be too uncomfortable to deal with any of these things himself 

I am here to hand out necessary meds & provide food & drink but it’s everything elseFlushed

how do others cope with the nursing role?

• Hi  

Part of the discharge process from hospital is all around appropriate care at home, stoma care can be a big issue as will be wound care.

When my wife was discharged from hospital after her emergency hysterectomy she had a large open wound on her stomach and it was quite badly infected, in her case we had daily visits from the district nurses to change the dressing, the smell was terrible and I do not really know how anyone put up with it - least of all my wife. Watching the wound heal though was amazing and knowing my wife was getting stronger was fantastic.

People often ask how we cope with everything we have been through - the best reply I can generally give is that at the time there did not seem to be a choice.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge