Only just recovering from caring for my late brother and now my dad's cancer is progressing.

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

I'm writing mostly to organise my thoughts, but would be grateful for any perspective or guidance. 

My brother died in late February. I had been one of two main carers in his last months. It was gruelling and sad and very disruptive as I know you can all understand. Due to a lot of complex circumstances involving 3 countries, he spent his last days in the UK and my older sister was unable to be present at all in his care. We are all grieving his death in different ways. 

In the past few weeks, my father (in the US) who has had slow growing prostrate cancer for some years, is now entering a more acute stage. His wife wants him to be at home, has hired a carer, although she still bears the majority of the heavy lifting. However, she has told me that she is struggling and that she feels overwhelmed by the practical arrangements; organising the will, managing ground transport to and from hospital visits, and so on. None of it is straight forward due to where they live. 

My sister lives nearest to him, but does not seem to feel particularly responsible to support in his care or take any initiative at all. I live in another country and have already had significant disruption to my work and home life as a result of my brother's situation. I am ashamed that my primary feeling is anger and frustration with my sister (maybe this is easier to feel than the compounded grief?) and really want her to step up, but she doesn't seem responsive at all. I am still burnt out from caring for my brother and feel at a loss about how to offer any support to my stepmother when I am not living close by. I saw my father recently and he seemed very clear that he was at peace and did not want to prolong his life through cancer treatment, but I don't know if his wife is on board with this.  It all seems like a terrible mess and I don't know what I can do. 

• Dear Amy, what a rough time you're having, I really feel for you.  Most of us on this carers forum are dealing with one person's illness,  you've had a double whammy.

In view of this I think you need to be extra kind to yourself.  You sound like a caring lady who obviously wants to help,  but realistically what can you do long distance? Apart from feeling guilty that you're not doing more, as we all do.

Your dad's wife feels overwhelmed.. I would suggest that is incredibly common in her situation, and might be the case even if you lived round the corner. As some of her problems are practical I wonder whether offering to deal with a specific issue, such as researching the will, would help. Possibly your sister would share this with you? She might welcome the opportunity?? 

There are no rules, no rights and wrongs, we are all just trying to do our best in sad stressful situations. Being kind to our patient, family and especially ourselves is really important. 

Good luck x

HPT

• Thank you. This is very sound advice. I will offer something tangible and see how that goes.