Short term memory loss due to chemo

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Good afternoon everyone. I am wondering if any of you have had experience of those we care for losing their short term memory after chemo [for SCLC].  We've always done general knowledge quizzes, puzzles, cross words etc but after his final [for now] chemo session his memory condition has become very worrying - both for me and himself.  He is terribly frustrated with this side effect.  Can anyone tell me whether this is a reversible side effect?  What more can I do as well as doing the puzzles with him and keeping positive?  I appreciate that each person with cancer is an individual, and has individual experiences with the treatments.  However, if there is anyone out there who could advise I'd be so grateful.

• Hi  ,

My name is Syed and I’m a member of the Community team here at Macmillan. I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties your loved one is having with his memory after chemotherapy. Whatever your circumstances may be, we will try our best to support you. I hope you can find the Community to be a place of kindness and support.

After reading your message, I would encourage you to contact their GP or medical team if you have any concerns about their health. Please note, we do not have any access to medical records at Macmillan. Our nurses can only provide general overviews of diagnosis, medication and treatments. Therefore, if you need the most relevant information based on your experience, it’s best to contact their GP.

On the Community, we have our Ask a Nurse section available. Here, you can ask our team of nurses certain questions you may have around diagnosis, medication and treatment. They aim to respond within 1-3 working days on the site.

If you require urgent support, you are welcome to call the Support Line on 0808 808 00 00 or alternatively, click here for webchat. Our nurses are available on this number. They are available everyday from 8am until 8pm.

I can see that you’re a member of many of our forums. You may want to consider posting this question in one of the forums where your loved one’s experience may resonate more. Once posted, I’m hopeful that other members will reach out to support you. You may also find it worthwhile joining our Family and Friends forum?

If there is anything else me or my team can do, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us here and always remember the Community is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I wish you and your loved one all the best and hope you can find the answers you need soon.

You are not alone,

Syed

Macmillan Community Team

Best wishes,

Syed
    Macmillan Community Team 

• Good evening Syed. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply so fully. I shall take your advice and contact our GP and see what transpires.  Kind regards to you and the Community Team.