Passing Off Illnesses?

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi team - I have just moved back home with my parent who had been diagnosed with GBM cancer.

I still go into the office from time to time and visit my boyfriend who lives in the city. My mom's diagnosis is rather new, and I am just now thinking through the following - I am worried to pass along COVID or any kind of flu/illness to my parent as the doctor mentions it can be quite dangerous for her to contract something. I am vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 (so is she and most of those around me) but people are still getting it semi-frequently.

Are you all wearing masks in public places? Indoor, or outdoor too? Has anyone thought through this as well? I have no issue with wearing a mask but my mom is still fairly active and I'd hate to have my face covered up around her 100% of the time. Just feels sad. Is it helpful to just wear one when out in public? Appreciate all thoughts and of course no judgement on where anyone stands here. 

I posted this in a different forum but realizing this might be better as is for carers. Thanks :)

• Hi  

I tend to avoid busier/crowded areas but it seems relatively few people are wearing masks now. For protecting yourself from infection the recommendation I hear is to use N95 masks as they offer a tight face fit compared to normal medical masks.

Our local Tesco has now removed all the perspex screens at the tills.

Of course a key element for your mom is to keep a close check on her temperature as she may need hospital treatment if she gets a fever.

<<hugs>>

Steve 

Community Champion Badge

• My partner also has GBM and I was very careful although I didn't wear a mask at home.  Then he went into hospital and caught Covid there anyway!  Luckily he wasn't very ill with it... in fact I felt worse when I then caught it and I am supposed to be the healthy one.  I guess what I am saying is that you can only do your best xxx