Post operative delerium

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My mum is in hospital after having a esophagetomy. Shexstarted hallucinating a couple of days ago and has since developed delerium. We've been told it can be common but now ive scared myself reading about it. Does anyone have any experience / advice on how to support my mum. We were already very nervous and anxious about the op but didn't see this coming as a complication. Its really scary seeing her so confused Pensive

• I'm not sure if this is the same thing but when my 89 year old dad is in hospital he becomes extremely confused 

• Whoops..

His mind creates such complicated stories as he tries to make sense of what is around him. He totally believes it's all true and the best way to deal with it is not to challenge or question and try to be non-committal. 

He was sure the male nurse had taken him and his neighbouring patients out on a bus to the coast for a meal; he and I had flown to America ; there had been a wedding reception on the ward.. and much more.

Once he is home he gradually improves and has very little memory of his time in hospital. 

My advice would be to go with it, try not to correct her, you'll learn how to have a conversation without saying much at all (hmm, really, that's interesting, I didn't know that). Hopefully your calm presence will help. 

All the best 

• Thank you ever so much for taking the time to reply. Yes, it sounds very similar. In her mind she has been out on trips which she can talk so clearly about.  My mum used to be a teacher and yesterday I turned up at the hospital and she was teaching a group of imaginary children. It was fascinating to watch, but also quite upsetting. Like you suggested, I do just go along with what she is saying and comfort her. The mind works in such mysterious ways Pensive