Mum starting radiotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

A couple of years ago my mum had uterine cancer and had a hysterectomy and a course of Radiotherapy and since then she's been doing so well, with all her scans and check ups going well. 

A few weeks ago she had a scan and was told that her cancer has returned this time in a lymph node.

She needs another course of Radiotherapy.  She is taking it in her stride but I am Feeling totally overwhelmed . I guess we got complacent that she was over this.

I feel selfish for being so anxious about it but my concern is not just for treating the current cancer in the lymph node but that now is in her lymph nodes I'm worried that it could spread to other places and I don't want her to suffer.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your mum, in your situation I think everyone would struggle so please do not consider yourself selfish but really well done for reaching out on here. If we look at your feelings when someone has cancer we can see how "normal" you are - if anything in the world looks normal when cancer reaches out to grab us. Somehow just recognizing that new normal can help us feel a bit more in control and sharing on here can make us feel less alone.

The "good" news for you is that your mum did the scans and check ups,

For me what helped most was a living with less stress course, I was very good at trying to work out what would happen in the future "if this, that or the other" but that stopped me appreciating what I had now..

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you very much Steve for your support. I'm just trying to not over think things but it's a work in progress.