Feeling so sad

• 4 replies
  • 48 subscribers

My husband’s cancer has spread and he’s now having palliative chemo. They have said it might buy him 18 months- 2 years but he is finding it so tough. I don’t want him to die - he’s only 62- we had so many plans. He’s been pretty difficult this week- understandably angry at the world, directing much or it at me - I understand- he is in pain and has been so poorly. Today he’s gone out on his own for the first time in his words - to give me some space ( he knows he’s been a bit mean). But I can’t stop crying - I guess I am giving in to my feelings while he’s out? I am trying to be strong but it’s so so hard. I don’t want him to die, I wanted us to grow old together. What will I do without him? Feel like I am drowning. I know I e got to pull myself together before he comes home but I just want this to stop. I want him back and healthy and for us to have a future. How are we going to get through this? I’m just so so sad. Sorry - just feeling so so sad.

• Hi cancer is awful my husband last week was told he has three months like you I don't know what to do or feel don't want to eat can't sleep but I think this is probably how all of us feel in this siPensiveation I'm angry with the hospital that they let this happen its hard to talk about it its hard  not to talk about it I know exactly how u feel I'm so sorry Pensive 

• Hi Janie65, I’m sorry to read what is happening to both you and your husband. My partner and I have only been together for five and a half years. She is 52 and I am 45. She has grade 4 Glioblastoma and has had radiotherapy earlier in the year and has started tablet chemo this week.

I really understand how you are feeling as I have been through all of the emotions myself and still am trying to deal with these. Sometimes it all becomes a little too much and there is no harm in being upset, or crying as a means of outlet.

It is hard when your loved one seems to turn on you and be nasty, or aggressive, but we all know that deep down, it’s not the real person that’s doing this and it’s the cancer doing it. Whether directly, or through their shear frustration over what is going on.

I am far from an expert, but a way I find of trying to deal with things in the interim is to try and take one step, or one day at a time. Try to deal with what is happening now and not worry too much about the future until it happens. Although I also know that this is easier said than done.

Take care of yourself and your husband.

• I am so sorry. I feel like this. My husbands 56. You are not alone

• Hi Janie65, I have been where you are now and I know what you are feeling. When my partner was diagnosed, there were times where she was very angry too, angry with everything. I understood why but its still hard to take. I just kept saying in my head"I want my old life back, I want it to be how it was before" and I was terrified because I knew that life had gone forever. We are in our early 60's and the thought of not being with her in the years to come was overwhelming. It goes deeper than sadness, its grief, even though that person is still with you, you are grieving for the life you are losing. While its good to be strong for our loved ones, you also need to care for you and I think being honest about how you feel is important. I know there are no words that really help, but for me it helped knowing that there were others going through the same thing because at times you feel like everyone else is happy and its a lonely feeling. Its hard, really hard, but you will get the strength from somewhere you really will. Just try and take one day at a time, dont think too far ahead and remember to look after yourself too. Always here if you need a chat x