How do I hide the emotional pain I'm consumed by- since finding out my Dad will die soon.

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My Dad is 66 and has been battling Colorectal Cancer since late 2020. He is a super fit and well man even for his age and the past 2.5 years have just been relentless for him- despite this he has soldiered through and taken everything thrown at him

Chemo, Radiotherapy, 5 ops and a ileostomy later...after being given the all clear 4 months ago- The metastasis in his lungs and Lymphnodes have returned and his treatment has now ceased. His consultant has estimated he has 3 months 

He is naturally upset but also a very straight talking and practical man who wants life to remain "normal"until the time comes....I'm the eldest of 4 siblings and I am the only one married with Children. 

I feel like the weak link, I'm usually the 'strong, get up and let's do this' type but this news has completely shattered me. My family are broken too but all of them Dad included seem to have accepted the news and being very practical about everything. I'm managing to put on a brave face because I know my Dad will be heartbroken to see us succumb to sadness but I'm not sure how much longer I can cope. 

The thought of watching him deteriorate haunts me, I feel so helpless. I'll do everything in my power to make him happy and look after my family the next few months but I just cant control the health anxiety,tears and anger that is building in me. I honestly want to live life after as this is all he has asked of me but even the thought of him not being here makes me vomit. I'm just so so angry and empty whenver i think about whats he's been through and how much he will now not see...my siblings getting married, grandchildren, my kids growing. I lost both my grandparents the same way and found that tough, but to watch the man I've adored my whole life suffer and then have to leave a life he loves- I'm convinced the grief will kill me. I know this seems dramatic but it honestly feels like 'life after' will just be so dark and pointless without him. 

I'm sorry to seem like such a negative woman but I can't voice this at home. I just need to know how to cope so I can be there for my family. 

• Hi  

You sound like someone very level headed faced with an incredibly difficult time in life - and rather than being negative you realised the need to reach out for some support. You did it much quicker than I did though I have been here rather a long time now.

That brave face bit - really easy to write, doing it though is completely exhausting - then of course your have your children to think of too, sometimes children cope really well though it might help to look at our pages on talking to children about cancer.

In terms of what your dad will not see - this is sometimes talked about as pre-grief and can stop us enjoying every day we have now.

Hope some of that helps, it is difficult but together we can help support each other.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks so much for replying Steve, you hit the nail on the head. It's exhausting. In his company I keep good humour but inside I'm crumbling. In honesty if it wasn't for my children- I'm not sure how I'd be functioning. As for the pregrief this is exactly how it feels, my husband keeps reminding me he is still here. Thank you so much, it feels better just to get it out. Take care of yourself xx

• 30+ years ago, when I was 21 I went through the same thing with my father, although from first unrecognised symptom we really only had 7 months. Dad was my idol -  not quite a hero, but I adored him. I was the youngest child and only girl out of his 3 children. None of us were even married at the time so that's where our stories differ.

One thing I am glad of though -  we talked. It wasn't easy! We talked about his life right from his childhood, about his parents and siblings, schooldays, mischief he got up to, old hobbies and holidays. You know, the stuff that many people regret not asking. Out of those talks we relived our favourite memories. Those shared memories saw me through the dark times. It also gave me something to do because I wrote things down, sorted out photos etc and got a book printed up - just for family. Nowadays I'd do a personal website! But it meant I had something to do and I was able to share Dad's life when I eventually had a husband and children and nephews and nieces. 

There are always times when it is difficult to cope but there is no rule to say you have to put on a brave face. And anger is good too - it is all part of grief. My husband now has cancer having had a pretty healthy life so far. Yes it's difficult and I admit, this afternoon I had to get away so went for a drive. But I'm always thankful that there's this forum to vent frustrations!

You might want to plan stuff with your family ( I don't know how old your children are), maybe making cards, silly photos/videos for him and with him, cooking something together for him, but involving your family and making their own memories of your father too. Just an idea.