Sudden ‘end of life care’

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My brother was finally (after 2 months) discharged from hospital on Friday - with incurable oesophageal cancer - to live with me. While I was fully aware of his situation, I was beginning to be unsure that he had taken on board his condition. We were looking forward to building his strength up and enjoying some little outings etc. 

Tuesday morning, as we were preparing for transport to pick us up for a routine hospital appointment, he had a massive harmorrhage and was taken to ED in ambulance. Mother and other brother called, end of life treatment decided on,  Nobody expected him to last the day. We are now on Thursday, and he is still here - but (understandably) anxious, and confused. He is asking for a ‘roadmap’ of where we are going. I have told him he is on a saline drip to keep hydrated, and syringe driver for pain - but don’t know how I can tell him what his situation really is (or whether I should) but the longer it goes on, the harder it is to placate him with ‘just rest’ , ‘let other people worry about that’ etc 

Any thoughts on what I could/should do?

• I liked the line that my husband's consultant used on him this week - the bad news (in his case about serious progression of the disease) means that we will need a new treatment plan, maybe with some different goals, but right now the plan for this week is to get you strong enough to make a plan, which means letting the medication do its work and getting your feeding right. Being in hospital on IV is the right place to do that. I liked that he was being given a goal, but one on a very short timeframe.

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023

• HI GF09

Oh I feel for you all. I agree with Motherofboys - try to placate him with the current plan is to get him stronger til they work out a new plan. I'd perhaps try to talk to his medical team and take their guidance on how much its wise to tell him. 

Please reach out here any time. Its a safe and supportive space and there's always someone about to listen who gets it. You're not on your own. We've got you.

For now stay strong. Sending you a  huge virtual hug and all my strength.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much for your replies. He actually passed away within hours of me writing, but your answers reassured me that probably I was pretty much on the right track.