Dad's chemo sessions

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello carers,

My dad was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer at the beginning of March. He is getting towards starting chemo ( going to be having 4 cycles of FLOT treatment starting on 26th April) I'm just wondering if you're able to sit in with your family member during their chemo treatment? I understand if hospitals don't allow this due to potential infection, but I was conscious that my dad will be sat alone for several hours and it will feel lonely. Ive tried ringing the dept at the hospital but they couldn't really give me a straight answer (though I'm guessing its more unlikely I'll be able to). He is having his PICC line fitted next week and having pre chemo bloods taken, swabs etc. It's a worrying time, but just wondered what other people's experiences have been during chemo treatments.

Thanks

ClaireHeartpulse

• Hi Clair,

With Janice's chemo there were quite a few patients who had a carer sit with them. It was generally helpful as while she was connected to a drip I could get her things to help pass the time but I know not all cancer centres have the space to allow this. Janice's treatment was also pre-pandemic so rules might be different on that front too.

The other thing they did in Oxford was give us a phone number direct to the cancer ward in case there were unexpected issues with the chemo. Janice did have a couple of rounds of admissions where she developed a high temperature as this was then treated with IV antibiotics.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• I just sat in with my mum while she had her chemo ( on Weds after a pic line was fitted on Tuesday this last week).  She has pancreatic cancer which has recurred . A year or so ago she had 6 months of chemo and she said my dad had sometimes gone in with her . There were quite a few other people with someone with them . Maybe during covid it was different but they seemed to have relaxed again now . This was in clatterbridge cancer hospital . 
    all the best wit your dad . The treatment took just under an hour .