Where to get help?

• 9 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi, my dad has advanced cancer, immobile and at risk of spinal cord compression, he's at home in a medical bed downstairs, but he's reached the point where he can't even turn onto his side, he's permanently on his back. Obviously it's getting difficult to manage changing his pants etc.

Who can we ask to give us some ideas on how to nurse him properly and safely? 

• HI AM123

So sorry to hear about your dad.

I'd suggest giving your GP a call in the first instance here. They can link you into the appropriate care that's available in your area. 

You can also call the MacMillan Helpline (the number is below) and someone there can give you some practical advice.

There's also some more general guidance on the main website. Here's the link Supporting someone | Macmillan Cancer Support.

I hope some of this has been useful.

Sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you. The GP is utterly useless and refuses to even come and see/speak tomy dad, so I think we will have to wait until the district nurses come again, whenever that is. I tried the Macmillan number/chat but they are so busy, I couldn’t get through. 

• Hope you manage to get hold of someone at your GP surgery. Is there a number for the community nurses? I was given a separate number for them

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

• Hi Wee Me. My mum spoke to the district nurse who came on Friday and they arranged care to come in the next morning. My mum has been reluctant to have help (I think she sees it as a kind of failure on her part which is ridiculous because she’s done everything herself until now) but they were so good, she’s actually going to ask for them to come twice a day now. 

• HI

glad to hear your mum is going to be getting more help for your dad. That must be a weight off your mind. No one likes to admit that they need more assistance but its reassuring to know its there when we need it.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

• Oh gosh this sounds so similar. My step dad is so reluctant to ask for help that he barely registers things are wrong. 

I hope you all get the support that you deserve 

• Hi there 

from what’s I’ve discovered you need to refer your family member to social care & they will do an assessment for care, house adaptations. Can Google it for it number. 

you may want to ask about meals on wheels , dosset box for mediation to make things

social care / council should have an Improving Cancer journey service aswell , they can help with benefits, macmillan grant , blue badge etc .

I wish you all the best. 

• Thank you. Sadly my dad left us on Friday. I am heartbroken beyond words.

• Hi   - thinking of you and yours at this sad time.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge