Leaving work

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi Folks

My wife has stage 4 ovarian cancer currently going through her3rd round of chemo and needs lots of care. I'm off work sick so that I can be there for her but I can only do that for 6 months max which runs out in June. Currently I'm thinking I'm going to have to give up work at that point as I can't see any way I can continue. Has anyone else been in a similar position or have any advice as I'm very worried how this is going to pan out - we still have to pay the mortgage!

• Hi Treemandave

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about what your wife and you are going through. Life's cruel.

I'm supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey so I can empathise with the journey you are on.

I've been lucky that my employer has been really supportive and that I am able to still work from home. Have you spoken to your boss to explore what options are open to you? There may be some carer's leave options (that could be unpaid leave depending on the firm) or is there the option to work reduced hours for a period of time(if that's an option) ? It might also be worth a call to your mortgage lender to see if they will grant a payment break in the circumstances. I work for a high street bank so know that its something that my employer offers customers who advise them of changes in circumstances such as this. 

It might also be worth a call to the MacMillan Helpline ( the number is below) as they may be able to offer further guidance. 

I've taken the liberty of looking up some info from the main website that might support here too

Working while caring booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

Financial Guidance | Macmillan Cancer Support

Benefits and financial support | Macmillan Cancer Support

I hope some of this has been helpful.

Sending you both a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Wee Me I have looked into some of the options, because I'm an FE lecturer there is no option to work from home - I considered taking taking a career break/ unpaid leave but I'm worried how that would affect any entitlement I might have to benefits? I'll take alook at the materials you've linked to 

Thank you

• Hi,

I have just joined this group. I am in a similar situation to Treemandave. I am a HE lecturer and my partner has been diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma (stage 3) in January. Prognosis is good but the side effects of the chemo are still strong, and will be at least until October/Novemeber. We have a 6 years old daughther. I am just unable to be on top of my work while taking care of everything else.

Flexible arrangements/reduction of hours won't work as the workload itself was already unmanageble before cancer happened. I have looked at our HR policies and the domestic leave is very little (3 days). I am thinking about asking for unpaid time off. Would I be able to get carer's benefits while on unpaid time off?

We also have a mortgage, and my partner is self-employed and his ability to work now has been reduced drastically (he can still manage a few hours per week but not much).

We were trying to have a second child just before the diagnosis (after a few miscarriages - last in December). So before starting chemo my partner has deposited his sperm and now we also have plans to start IVF (we were recommended not to wait until the end of treatment because of my age). That is of course very expensive so the whole financial situation is quite complicated.

Any advice? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks

• Hi Lau Ra

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all that you and your partner are going through.

I took the liberty of looking up some info from the main website for you Supporting someone | Macmillan Cancer Support

I believe you can claim carer's benefits even though you are working or on unpaid time off. We never claimed it but from memory it would be your partner who would claim it. The link should steer you in the right direction.

Something else to consider is reaching out to your mortgage lender and letting them know of the current situation. They may be able to offer a payment break in your mortgage or replan your payments. I work for a high street bank within the mortgage space so know that's something we offer our customers in similar situations.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

hope this has helped a little.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm