Thoughts on Covid risk

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My partner is living with liver bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma), diagnosed January 2022. Since diognosis we have been living in a lockdown like state to avoid germs and in particular covid, I.e. not going indoors public places without a mask, working from home, no traveling/holidays, the few people we do see we ask they LFT before a catch up, avoiding people for atleast 48 hours if they have been on a flight. 

Number 1 priority is doing everything needed to keep him safe and away from any germs, I have to admit I'm feeling the lonlieness and confinment of not feeling safe to get out and about and enjoy life, and I feel jealous of people who don't have to worry about covid.  

I know there's never one size fits all when it comes to anything cancer related.  I would love to get an idea of how others in this forum live their lives and how they think about covid risk.

Can we calm down and enjoy life for a bit, or should we keep keeping our distance from? I just want to do whatever is right, I'm just conscious of cabin fever!

• Hi  

My wife is living with Leiomyosarcoma but at least for now it is stable. She is supporting our son in college so travels by bus 3 days a week about 15 miles and also spends some time in coffee shops. We have both had all our covid shots. We have had one round of infection which was really quite unpleasant but we seem to have recovered ok.

At work we do monitor the CO2 levels quite closely especially in shared indoor spaces.

That is what we do - but unfortunately not being a doctor and knowing your situation you will need to make your own decision.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  , 
    I agree that you need to work out what works for you. My wife was diagnosed with cancer early in 2021 - in the middle of Covid so we have been living through this from then. Right from the start we have been trying to go with a cautious but sensible approach to Covid. So probably more careful than most, but still not totally isolating as much some other people we know.
    Now we continue with the approach of being sensible, but not totally avoiding people or going places. So for example we have all the jabs we have been offered (covid & flu), and will still wear a mask on public transport if it is busy. Additionally we will still use hand sanitizer / clean hands regularly and do LFT tests if we have any cold symptoms as well as keeping more distance (or meeting outdoors) if we meet others with cold symptoms. But otherwise we are carrying on as well as we can. But then we also have a daughter at school which is a bigger risk that we can't avoid. In fact she did get covid once last year, although by testing and isolating her quickly we managed to avoid it spreading to rest of the family. 
    But as mentioned you need to decide what works for you, All the best with working this out.