Reality has hit.

• 6 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hey guys

So my mum was diagnosed towards the end of last year. Her prognosis is good, and she is currently having chemo, followed up with radiotherapy.

I'm her main carer throughout her illness, with some support from my dad to take mum to some of her appointments while I'm at work. My sibling has been of limited practical help. 

The last 3 weeks or so, I think reality has caught up with me. I think the events of the last few months have caught up with me. I'm so worn out, I feel like I could burst into tears right at any minute if I stop and think. The feelings of fustration and annoyance at my sibling (everytime they get in contact it usually ends up with me ignoring the last message they send as I feel like I'm being patronised). 

I was isolated and lonely before my mum was diagnosed, but I feel more alone than ever. No one is really bothered about me. I'm doing a degree apprenticeships, so at uni, no one is bothered about me, they just like to sound off about their lives without any consideration of me. I'm also the student rep, and the other supposed student rep is no support at all. 

I think I'm close to hitting that brick wall. But I'm worried if I stop, I'll completely break down. 

I'm not expecting any replies, I just needed to sound off a bit. 

Thanks for reading. 

• So sorry you are going through this. I know a little of how you must feel from caring for my husband, and I have uni age sons. I feel sure that there will be a wellbeing service or similar at uni that you could go an talk to, who will have ideas about how to manage this alongside your apprenticeship.

I think sometimes you do have to just stop being the one that everyone else leans on and just take time out for yourself - in my case that has occasionally meant booking half a day off work and going to an arboretum nearby, that is my favourite place to me, or just going for a swim or doing some yoga. So far, I don't think getting signed off work for a week or two by my GP would help, it would be too much time for me to wallow, but maybe that would help for you. I feel the structure of the routine and familiar is what is holding me together, even when I'm not concentrating very well and getting worried about the workload backing up.

People tend not to ask me how I'm doing, because I'm 'not the sort of person' they expect to be having these sorts of problems (not old enough!) I am sure that must be true for you. You are carrying far more than people would expect of a student, and people just don't ask, because they don't expect there would be anything like this to be going on in the life of a student.

Finding someone to talk to face-to-face and allowing yourself a few hours just for yourself would good steps. Wishing you all the best.

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023

• Hiya 

Many thanks for your reply. You've given me some good suggestions thank you. So sorry to hear about your husband as well. Sending my best to you all.

Think I've just hit that point where it's all just caught up with me. 

I've got an appointment to speak to my GP next Monday so I'll see what they say as well. 

• Hi 

sorry things are tough at the moment, they do have a tendency to catch up with you often when least expected.

if you are the student rep I’m guessing you are the person that people lean on, but maybe it’s your time to do a little of the leaning. As someone like this myself I know that’s not always easy to do.

Talking to student services is a really good idea, and if are are lonely anyway maybe they could help you with that. Your personal tutor and / or course leader might also be able to support you, and maybe get someone else to take on the student rep role? 

it sounds as if you are doing a great job looking after your mum and dad. Are there any classes you would like to take advantage of in your lunch hour at uni? Yoga / Zumba or whatever floats your boat? Would be a way of getting some time for you maybe?

Take care

• Hi

Thank you very much for your response. I'll definitely consider these options. 

• Hey The Vk...

Thanks for reaching out.  That sounds like a lot for you to carry.

Positives first... you are doing an amazing job.  To look after your mum while doing a degree apprenticeship is amazing - you should be super proud of yourself.  Her prognosis is good and that is a definite positive.

It does sound to me like you may be a bit too busy.  I was always a busy person, but when my wife got ill I had to put lots of things down so I could focus on her and still have a bit of time to look after myself.  I wonder (echoing Sixpence) whether you can put down the student rep job?  It is an important job, but I guarantee there is someone on your course who is going through less than you are right now.  There is no shame in admitting that it is too much for you right now with everything else you are carrying.

Likewise, can you talk to your sibling and dad about how you are struggling and get them to pick up a bit more of the load?  I know that sounds hard, and it is hard to have that sort of conversation without getting upset and it all coming out wrong. But if you could just explain how burnt out you are feeling, without accusing anyone else, and ask them whether they can perhaps pick up a bit more, that might at least get them to realise how you are struggling.

It's a marathon, and you need to look after yourself to be there for your mum.  I hope you have had a better few days.

Big hugs...

Pete

• Hi Pete

Thank you for your response. I think you're definitely right, and just didn't like to admit it.

I'll have a look at everything going on and try and make life a little easier for me.