Mum sadly reached the end - some of the tools I used to help in the last days

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Mum died at home 

via the district nurse we quickly received an air bed from the community council and even though mum took a week to try it , this item was by far what made her last days comfortable 

blowup cushions were also supplied and very helpful 

mum had lung cancer and could not cough up the plegm doctor recommended steam but mum was too frail for head over bucket or shower I got  a facial steamer and this worked well until Mum reached the next stage.

mum wanted warm or hot water to drink I got a pump handle thermos flask in the bedroom so she could have easy access to warm water 

Pretty drinking straws

Wifi door bell ( this was on some one else’s post an of great value to us ) we programed the bell to a pretty tune so mum did not feel she was pushing a panic alarm .this bell by her beside was a great asset as she felt she could spend time on her own but get help as soon as she needed. 

commode time this is a brutal stage and toilet wipes are more trouble then they are worth chopping up some old towels or a supply of cheap face cloths  damp in warm water were so much better . this was only for a few days so appreciate this might not be helpful to you 

flat sheet on bed this way the nurse could move mum with little disturbance fitted sheets don’t allow much grip or movement.

a childs soft toothbrush in a jar of diluted mouthwash for those days that drinking and dry mouth become  problem 

An Amazon account for prompt delivery a life saver 

It’s hard it’s brutal and I hope there are bits in this post  to help or be helped by. 

good luck and best wishes to you all 

• Hi  

Thanks for that update, it does sound like you definitely helped make those last days as special as they could be and I loved the bit about the doorbell.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hey Soteria...

Thanks for putting this up here - that must have required a bit of strength at this point in time.  I recognise the doorbell and the amazon order.  I wonder whether we should pull together a more comprehensive list combining everyone's experiences and stick it somewhere as a blog post. 

I hope you are doing OK.

Pete

• Sorry to hear about your Mum. But thank you for sharing such practical advice.

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023