Oesophageal cancer

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi everyone, I would like to give everyone hope.  My husband (74) was given the diagnosis of Oesophageal cancer in April 2022. T3 N1 MO. It was a long haul, but stick with me.

He had to have a lot of extra tests because it was thought the cancer had been growing for a couple of years before he reached the stage of not being able to digest food. So a PET scan to see if the 5 cm tumour had spread to his lungs or liver.  It hadn't, then as he had Atrial Fibrilation he had to have heart scans, then it was discovered he had a leaky mitral valve.  However it was agreed by the Multi Disciplinary Team (between Bedford and Addenbrookes) that  he was still a suitable candidate for the surgery to remove his Oesophagus and move up his stomach.  I won't lie I was devastated!  

An exploratory operation was scheduled - a day op, no further problems. 

Next step was the FLOT chemotherapy, very strong, 4 cycles over 8 weeks.  He picked up Covid-19 after the first cycle! Resulting in 24 hours in hospital with a fluids and antibiotics drip, chest X-ray and ECG.  Because by this time he'd lost over a stone in weight, he was given a nasal feeding tube, otherwise he might not have been fit enough for the surgery.  Halfway through the chemotherapy, the nasal feeding tube blocked, another 24 hours in hospital and the tube removed and a new one inserted. 

Weight was gained, and Chemotherapy was finished, he didn't have very many side effects.  The tumour had reduced significantly. 

The rest period commenced, and he regained a certain amount of his fitness, the surgery was scheduled for late October, we plodded on but the pre-op Covid-19 test showed up he was positive.  He was asymptomatic, but he still couldn't have the surgery. What a blow! Now it was late November.  

He had his surgery, but he didn't make it onto the Upper GI recovery plan, as his epidural didn't work.  After  2 weeks in hospital, he was discharged.  The weather was bad, snow, ice etc, so he didn't go out. But at his 2 week check up his liquid food was reduced from 1.5 litres to 750ml. 

Over the next 4 weeks he built up his fitness, and with the help of the tummy peg he regained weight .  At his 6 week appointment he gained weight and was on ordinary food albeit small portions over 3 meals and 2 snacks. On week 5 he managed to walk 21 miles. Liquid food was reduced from 750ml to 400ml. The GI nurse said he was 'amazing'!  At the oncologist appointment today, it was mooted to remove the peg ASAP, pending the availability of Addenbrookes. and the Consultant called him the 'miracle man'. He has Neuropathy in his hands and feet, so was advised NOT to have further chemotherapy.  Histology showed that there was no further cancer in his lymph nodes.  0/26 lymph nodes 

Fellow carers, there is hope out there.  If I knew at the beginning what I know now I probably would have felt a lot better about the whole experience.  I have been seeing a Macmillan Psychologist, but not until after the chemotherapy, so quite a long way along, this has been a great help as I was so anxious, if anxiety is your problem, please seek help.

I wish you all the best in your caring experience.