Supporting husband with cancer while working

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My husband had secondary kidney cancer and we were told last week he now has a brain tumour he has an appointment tomorrow to find out what the next steps are he has his brother with him but really wanted to be there to support him and can’t get time off work makes me so angry and useless anyone else gave the same experience?

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your husband ad the impact this is having on you. If we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer it is easy to see how the feelings you have are very normal and it is likely are being made worse by the attitude of your employer.

I would suggest it might be helpful to talk to one of our work and support advisers - either through the forum or by ringing the helplne. It might also help to talk to carers uk.

For reference my employer would normally encourage we to go support my wife in these circumstances - and still pay me. The alternative might be my stress levels would increase without decent control and I would end up on sick leave and that would mean they paid me to not be at work for an even longer period.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge