Consultant appointments

• 7 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Every time my husband has a consultant appointment I spend the whole day in a stew.

I am simultaneously hoping fervently for explanations about what is happening and a new plan (which google seems unable to deliver, despite the hours I invest searching), together with preparing myself for the disappointment of no real news or opinion with a wait for the next scans.

This is the second day in a row of such appointments this week - not a lot of work getting done!

We've been doing this for nearly 2 years now (which in a way I am grateful for, because the prognosis without treatment was less than 1 year) but the rollercoaster is not getting any easier - and I never liked rollercoasters any way!

Just putting this out there - I'm sure others will be doing the same!

• Hi motherofboys...I hear you and can totally empathise here.

I dread scan and appointments days...and the couple of weeks in between isn't a barrel of laughs either. 

My husband has a stage 4 brain tumour ( now tumours) and was first diagnosed in Sept 2020. Like you, I've been riding this emotional rollercoaster for a long time.... 

By nature, he's a control freak and right from the start he's told the kids and I that this is for him to deal with...yeah right! Our kids are now 22 and 25. 

Over the months we've been referred round 10 different hospitals for scans. Kind of feels like we've done an NHS tour. On scan day, my other half gets and anxious and grumpy and it's generally just a long day where no matter what I say or do, it' wrong.

For the week or two in between the scan and oncologist appointment he swings between being anxious and down to being angry and almost spoiling for a fight. I've learned to stay quiet for the sake of the remains of my own sanity.

Appointments are usually video calls and we make a point of all 4 of us being there so we all get the same message. His tumour has impacted his speech, language and understanding so if we let him attend those alone we'd never find out what was actually said. On the odd occasion where he's had even a telephone call or on one occasion where he logged in 2hrs early to the video link and got taken 90 mins early so the three of us missed the call, all he says is "A conversation was had." and refuses or can't tell you what was said.

He hates it when the kids or I comment or ask questions on those video appointments. We've been told to stay quiet and not say anything but of late we've ignored that. He tries to "play" the medical team and says he's fine and fails to tell them of any deterioration or changes. A broken control freak is a very dangerous thing I've learned. 

It's all beyond frustrating! We have no plan any longer as the last scan wasn't good so its just time. At the last appointment in Nov we were told to report any changes or concerns into the oncologist who then didn't provide any contact details. I had an email for the CNS and  am still awaiting her reply. The whole NHS set up is frustrating me too. 

I do sometimes feel I'd get better care for him and more honest updates if I took him to our vet!

It's not easy. It's draining emotionally and physically but you're doing an amazing job here. Hang in there. This rollercoaster ride is a bumpy one.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks. I needed to hear that - I'm still waiting for him to return home. Sounds like you are having a tough time too. My husband still goes to these appointments by himself (started that way under covid rules) so my challenge when he gets home is to ask exactly the right questions to find out what was said, without actually turning the conversation into an interrogation. But ask a vague question and you'll get a vague answer. Ask no questions and get no information at all!

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023

• Hey WeeMe...

Just commenting because I absolutely recognise the "gaming" going on the the appointments.  My wife was an absolute terror for telling the oncologist how wonderful everything was.  I had to choose my words extremely carefully and tell them what was really going on to ensure that she was getting appropriate care. Thankfully I think that the consultants are wise and learn how to read between the lines.

I'm sorry you aren't having a good time with the hospital.  Can you ring the hospital switchboard and ask for your consultant's PA?  I found once I was connected to the PA via email then I could get messages backwards and forwards quite effectively (and I felt less bad about politely hassling the PA than the consultant).  We also had a neuro nursing team who were available for advice via a voicemail number and would typically call me back within a few hours on a working day. I just wonder if there is some equivalent available your end that someone has failed to connect you to. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to task - or at least highlight the issues you are having and ask the consultant if there is someone who is more readily available.  As we discovered in multiple hospital stays... if you can find one person who is motivated to help you then that can make all the difference.

Pete

• Hey motherofboys...

That sounds tricky... do you think he'd be up for a conversation about how you are struggling for lack of information and would like to accompany him and how that would save him feeling like he is being interrogated on his return?

Hope your day ended OK.

Pete

• I think I have so far managed to avoid interrogating. I'd love to go along to consultant appointments, but it would mean taking time out of work, and he wants me to save my boss's good will for the times it really matters (like the times I needed to drive him to and from radiotherapy appointments every day for 4 weeks).. I can see merit in that argument, even if I wish we had the luxury to do differently - this is a long term situation.

Sadly not such a good outcome today. We are back to square one with a primary site recurrence, and reverting to the original combination immunotherapy, which caused liver problems last time. Not a great option, but the alternative is fairly radical facial surgery, so combo immunotherapy is plan A, with another surgery our plan B.

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023

• Hey motherofboys...

Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest that you were interrogating him. Only trying to think of means to get yourself invited to meetings.  But I understand now that is not really the issue either.

Sorry that your news wasn't better, also.  I hope you are doing OK today.

Pete

• Hi

thanks. I have previously emailed the CNS but she's as much use as a chocolate teapot to be frank. She gave me the number for the triage team and said to call them if I needed anything. The one time I called them they refused to help because my husband isn't actively receiving cancer treatment. We ended up in A&E that day.

The oncologist didn't give me his contact details but when I emailed the CNS as a last resort recently I got her "out of office" which had the oncologist's PA's phone number on it. At least I now have it but haven't had to call it yet.

It really shouldn't be this hard.

take care

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm