My husband

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello

I have just got my husband home from hospital he has metastatic bowel cancer. He went into hospital just over a week ago and had to have fluids intravenously because his blood tests before his chemo session showed dehydration. He was in over New Year the first we have had apart in 39 years. As it turns out it is the chemotherapy that has damaged his kidneys and now, he has to wear a urinary catheter along with a stoma bag. He got his stoma bag in 2021 before he went in last January to have the tumour cut out which was a success, but no adjuvant chemo was offered as a precaution to get rid of any possible cancer cells that may still have been there, and they said it wasn't necessary. Four months down the line the cancer was back, and this has led us to where we are now. He had four sessions of CAPOX from mid-August to October last year he tolerated this well until mid-way through his 4th cycle when he became quite ill, and it had to be stopped. His kidney function then was presenting with problems but for some reason they righted themselves and they were able to start him on a new chemo regime 5FU on 16th December the following week however he began to present with flu like symptoms and was admitted to hospital because he was going through chemotherapy and as it turned out he got a chest infection and was sent home with antibiotics. Then the following week the district nurse came out and checked his picc line and dressing and took bloods to make sure he could go through his next chemo session, and he had a telephone consultation the next day and they said the bloods were showing signs of dehydration so now he has been told that he won't be able to go get anymore chemotherapy because of his kidneys, and it was the chemo that has done the damage so now it's a worry what his treatment will now be going forward- if any. He is eating well though he was barely eating before he went into hospital obviously due to the dehydration and when he was in he looked really well as if he had filled out but now, he's home he doesn't look as good- maybe it was the `hospital effect`. He too has lost a good bit of weight. His weight dropped from 143kg at the start of his treatment last year which was around 22/23 stone in old money, and he is now down to 110kg which works out about 17stone so he's still not a bad weight, but I think I'm so used to seeing him that bit more `chunkier` and the way he looks now he looks a bit `scrawny` and skinny. I just hope they can give him some kind of treatment going forward this is all that is really worrying that he'll get left with nothing. 

Vicky

• Hi  /Vicky

So sorry to hear about your husband it does seem like has been through quite a lot. Normally patients will get at a minimum care to help control any symptoms even if it will not be cure.

My wife's first chemo caused a whole lot of problems but fortunately for us these were curable and for her the second type of chemo they tried rendered her cancer stable. I know I came close to breakdown though and was saved by a "living with less stress course". The living in the here and now - mindfulness - helps me to appreciate what we have each day rather than worrying about what might happen next week, next month whatever. The conscious breathing exercises are great when life throws a curve ball or even just to generally relax - and get some sleep. Transcendental meditation though was not for me.

<<hugs>>

Steve 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Vicky, I share your worries and send all sorts of positive vibes your way. I’m currently at a similar stage with my husband and it’s the ups and downs I’m struggling with.Two courses of immunotherapy for his liver cancer and we’re feeling on a high and then the bloods show his liver function is dropping and they withhold further treatment to find out why. As with you,  the worry is what next?

Sharing those worries on the forum this week have really helped me - taking small steps and focussing on the glimmer of hope, however small. Mine being further treatment dates have been sent through and although they can’t guarantee they’ll happen my husband hasn’t been forgotten.

I hope you get that glimmer of hope x