My dad is end of life (I think), what to expect

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My dad is stage 4 bladder cancer, he had to have a double nafrostomy, it’s in operable, chemo didn’t work, he’s too poorly for radiotherapy, he did try immunotherapy for a bit but has decided nothing is helping and he feels worse and doesn’t want anymore so all treatment has stopped.  He’s lost all his weight, he doesn’t eat or drink really as he always feels sick.  He has tried the anti sickness meds.  He doesn’t look like himself,  Now his eyes are bulging, he’s lost the use of his eyelids so one is permanently shut and the other struggles to stay open, his voice has changed and now sounds raspy, he still feels sick.  Is all the normal, if there is such a thing? It’s really sad to watch, we’ve not been given any idea on how long he has.  He’s too poorly to travel to the hospital really. 

• Hi  

So sorry to hear about your dad, though one think we can see is that he tried everything to stop this cancer. One of the problems at this stage is that nobody really knows what will happen and sometimes even if we did somehow know then the question would be what could we do with the information.

I am sure however your dad is glad to be with you and I hope you find the strength to get you through this time and when you look back know you did what your dad wanted - even though it is so hard.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge