The guilt of selfishness

• 8 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Where does one begin when they hate themselves as much as they resent their partner?

My wife (34) has/is undergoing treatment for Her2 Breast Cancer. She is through the Chemo, radiotherapy, surgery but is still receiving Herceptin injections every three weeks as well as taking Tamoxifen daily. The Hearceptin will end in January and the Tamoxifen is for another few years.

Now to the crux of the issue. She has zero interest in any intimacy other than cuddling and there hasn't really been any intimacy since she gave birth to our second child 21 months ago (the cancer was diagnosed before we could rediscover our sex life). She says that she just doesn't feel the urge anymore which combined with the exhaustion, tiredness, body aches and depression that is left behind after a brutal treatment means that I have been left feeling neglected, ignored and useless. This leads to me feeling guilt for my selfishness and then ultimately hating myself. This cycle repeats itself most months leading to me losing sleep, my appetite and self-confidence. I understand that it is wrong of me to complain but I see no end to this. She is so lacking emotional strength that it feels like she is content to let this go on. We have talked about it but the outcome is always "I just don't feel like myself and I don't feel the desire to have sex" She did reach out to the GP a couple of months ago but her referral for therapy was refused on the grounds of there not being any support available to her and we cannot afford for her to have private therapy.

Ultimately, I am so lost, and I'm terrified of losing my wife and the wonderful family we have built. Sex might seem trivial but the past 21 months have been challenging and I really want the opportunity to reconnect with my wife and have the all-round relationship we used to have.

Is it possible to come back from this? Should I just be patient or is patience the opportunity for us to slide even further into this pit?

• Is there a way you can feel connected to her without full blown sex? Like giving each other massages, cuddles etc and then you could ahem… please yourself? 
    Relationship counselling (both as a couple and individually) could be helpful. Counselling directory website have lots of counsellors on offer, at a range of prices. 
    I am on the other side of this - my dad is terminal, and I have to say that sex with my other half is the furthest thing from my mind right now, but I would very much like to held and cuddled. Your wife needs to feel ‘safe’ and obviously what she has gone through has probably made her feel very unsure of life in general. You can help to make her feel safe again. 

• I totally see where you are coming from.  Since my partner's diagnosis in June he has become totally withdrawn from me and the lack of intimacy is incredibly difficult.  Then I feel guilty because of the enormity of what he is going through, but still that voice is there "but what about me?" Sometimes I place his arms around me for a hug, but I feel as though he is waiting for it to be over and so I do it less and less.  We don't even kiss anymore, except for those hello and goodbye pecks that you give to any friend or relative.  Its devastating and in my darker hours I just think so long as I continue cooking and cleaning and don't say anything then he is fine with that, he wants nothing more from me.  

Sex does not seem trivial... I believe intimacy to be at the heart of a loving relationship and without it I am falling out of love with the gorgeous guy I had been living with.  And its a terrible thing to say and I can only say it here... 

I don't know whether we can find a way back from this.  If anybody has it would be good to know.

• You have my sympathy - I totally understand.  My wife was diagnosed well over 4 years ago and we have had no intimacy at all since then. Like you I feel guilty for wanting it and if I could turn off my sex drive I would. Sorry I can't offer any help - only sympathy.

• I absolutely know what you mean, my wife’s cancer is incurable and our sex life has been eroded to a point of non existence. I desperately miss the intimacy and physical contact but feel selfish for ever mentioning it. She always says it’s a case of not being physically up to it rather than not wanting to do it but the impact is the same. I am not sure which way to turn and not sure I am strong enough to deal with it. 

• I feel the same loss too. My husband and I met 5 years ago, in our 60s, and married a year ago. It was fantastic to share a loving sex life but that has gone now too. We kiss and cuddle but that's it. He has become withdrawn and I have become his carer in very many ways. It's sad and I feel selfish too but there is loss, which is hard to cope with. I've tried discussing the situation with him but he becomes defensive and sad, so now I don't bother. No answers, I'm afraid, but it's a comfort to know I'm not alone. 

• Sending strength and best wishes 

• I feel this too. My husband has not been `able` since his operation but I'm fine with that. What I do miss though is the cuddles. He used to just come up and grab me for big bear like cuddles but doesn't even do that now. We used to have a lot of silly banter going on as well and used to rip the p**s out of each other but that's not happening either. I miss his silly `one liner jokes` and daft wee sayings. Every now and then I get a glimmer of his old self but these days its very few and far between and its hard for him to open up about things. Best Wishes to you all. 

Vicky

• Oh Vicky, you've summed it up so well. It's the playfulness we miss, isn't it? The feeling of an equal partnership too, for me anyway. I've got a photo of my husband on my phone and tablet, only taken 18 months ago and every time I see them I think " where have you gone?" It would look too pointed if I removed them. My husband is back in hospital for the third time, once after each immunotherapy, so they have decided to discontinue. I'm hoping that he may recover a bit, for a while, and maybe be like his old self. Selfishly, I'd rather have him for a shorter time, as he was. Sending you all my very warmest wishes.