Don't know how to deal....

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My 20+ daughter has been diagnosed with a rare cancer and as parents, my husband and I are really struggling. So far she's had various procedures, an operation and treatment - but it just won't go away! A year down the line and it is still being aggressive,  so the treatments are getting more so. We support her as best we can, but trying to be strong when she has a bad day and just wants answers is really difficult. I recommended counselling to her (which she has been told she needs) but it is yet to happen. She's even considered paying privately - which she can't really afford. My husband really struggles as it is a gynae cancer and his mother died of cervical cancer, so he constantly has this going through his head. So I'm supporting more, family are un-aware (daughters wishes - although some know something is up), and am struggling to deal and talk about things, find information and help her. 

• Hi and welcome to our community.

My wife also has a rare cancer - Leiomyosarcoma, it can make life more complicated as information can be harder to come by and finding someone to share experiences difficult.

I have found talking to people to be quite helpful so I can see how counselling might help. I don't know if this is something the staff on the helpline here might be able to help with. In my workplace we also have an employee assistance programme and they can provide a short course of counselling.

I have had a lot of help from my local Maggies centre, and there may be other organisations that can help if she looks using our in your area tool.

I glad you found us here, talking about cancer I have found very helpful - that being strong bit I wish was as easy to do as write.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

1. Thanks Steve, have read your story - it sounds like you have had a very rough time of things. It is sometimes very difficult to not feel overwhelmed and I don't want to keep talking about it in case people get tired of it! On a positive note, the NHS staff have been amazing, so supportive throughout. Hope things continue in a positive way for you and your family.