Do not resuscitate letter

• 6 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Could someone please give me some advice, I've just had the shock of my life tonight when I called in at my doctors to pick up some meds for my husband whom has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer a doctor that I've never seen before came out into reception to ask me if I had a D something something form ? And I didn't know what she was talking about but said no so she then said I'll go and get you one and sign it. She then returned 5 minutes later and handed me this bright yellow envelope and said we think its in your husbands best intrest to not resuscitate!!! And that was it so I left when I got home and opened it, it basically says that they won't resuscitate my husband and that we both had okayed this at a meeting I think and a load of stuff I haven't even herd of never mind discussed. This has just totally floored me and I haven't even told my husband as I think it would really upset him as iits as if they have given up on him already he doesn't even start his treatment until Tuesday and should this not be a decession he makes he is still working, driving etc so more then capable thank you in advance 

• Really shocked by this but not entirely surprised. We had the question ‘have you done a dnr’ thrown at us in an open ward with no warning or explanation. There are arguments in favour of making your wishes known but this is not the way to go about it and the patient should be consulted, particularly someone like your husband who has full legal capacity (ie is of sound mind). I’d give the macmillan help line a ring as  it is quite a complex matter. 

• Oh Heartbroken111, how insensitive of that doctor! I am so sorry that you had to experience that. Honestly, I've just about lost all faith in our caring profession.

My husband was given a stage diagnosis (brain tumour) in Sept2020 and although we were told to put his affairs in order, no one actually gave us that form- yet...  You're right though, that's something that he has to decide for himself, in conjunction with you and his medical team. 

As Happy Camper says, call MacMillan. The number is below. There is also some more detailed information within the main website but I've pulled out a couple of links that might offer some help

Looking after someone with cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

Practical support when you look after someone | Macmillan Cancer Support

Emotional support for carers | Macmillan Cancer Support

This is a really safe and supportive community so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone here.

I hope your husband's treatment goes smoothly. Sending you a huge virtual hug, love and light. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi thank you for your reply the doctor has rang and apologised and said she made a mistake Scream cat and they have taken it off and told me to destroy the letter I'm upset that she made thus mistake but very pleased it was a mistake but thank you x 

1. Had a very apologetic doctor on the phone saying she put 2 and 2 togeather and came up with 24 and it was all a mistake and its been taken off and to destroy it im very angry but very relieved Pray but thank very much for your reply and so sorry for you and your husband cancer is just so shit xxx
  • Relieved to hear that it is sorted but how traumatising for you. Most of the time my husband and I can get on with life but it is when this sort of things happen that its difficult to avoid the reality! Just so shit puts it very well. Good luck with your husband's treatment.

• Thank goodness you did not tell your husband. I feel for you so much reading this. My husband already talks about being a burden.