Frustrated

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi, my husband has late stage liver cancer and recently underwent surgery to have the tumour removed. Unfortunately when they opened him up the tumour had grown too large to remove so the surgery was unsuccessful. We are now faced with a wait to see the oncologist whilst he recovers from surgery. It has been exactly a month so far and my husband is reluctant to do anything to help his recovery. Obviously we were both devastated when we realised the surgery was for nothing and I’ve been trying so hard to remain positive and motivate my husband. Although the tumour was discovered in March he’d had no symptoms (or treatment) prior to the surgery so it has been an endless wait and I think we’re both exhausted by it. I don’t know where to go next.

• Hi

Everyone on here will recognize the bit about an endless wait and the difficulty of trying to remain positive. I well remember crying in the shower and issues with getting enough sleep yet for us this was now years ago. One question I might ask is what was it the caused the tumour to be discovered sometimes that can get lost in the noise too.

Hopefully you will have already seen our main site on liver cancer, it can help to understand some of the terms the oncologist might use. One page I found very helpful though was Your feelings when someone has cancer as I know how difficult it can be. I broke in the past and helpfully found support that picked me back up, dusted me down and helped me and so I could continue being their for my wife.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, it’s kind of good to realise that all my/our feelings are ‘normal’ in this situation. 
    My husband went for a routine blood test, due to his diabetes, in March which came back slightly abnormal resulting in a scan. The scan found a 16cm mass on his liver. Further tests confirmed it was cancerous and in June we were told there was little that could be done by our local hospital. We were referred to Addenbrookes where, after looking at the scans and checking my husbands liver function, they thought surgery to remove the tumour was an option. Unfortunately that wasn’t to be and we’re back to waiting. We have an appointment at Addenbrookes Hospital on October 20th to discuss what happens next. 
    I will definitely check out your recommended reading in dealing with things when someone has cancer - thank you.

• Hi - my wife has type 2 diabetes too, but in her case diagnosed after they raised concerns around cancer.

I know Addenbrookes fairly well as my mother spent over 6 months there in 2012 after she fell and broke her hip. My parents living in Ely at the time. There is a wonderful space at the hospital Maggies Cambridge and it can be well worth dropping in and talking to the people there.

Somewhat coincidentally I was also in Addenbrooks for some time - before I was 2 when I fell and fractured my skull, I am told the building was not yet fully open at the time - my poor parents must have been really challenged.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge